• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

getting ready to buy trailer for my M1009

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Yes, if they're both stock it will plug right in. If the trailer has 24 volt bulbs (which is very likely) you'll want to change them to 12v for safety. With the stock 37" tires the trailer will be nose down (unless your blazer is on bigger tires), but you can change it over to smaller tires to make it ride level.

KansasBobcat

The -10 states that the M1009 can tow the M416 with maximum towed load of 1200lbs. Tongue weight not to exceed 100 lbs. So the M1101 would exceed the maximum. The M1008 would be a better choicewith 3100 lbs towed capacity and pintle height.

MarcusOReallyus

You'd better look at the weight of that 105. It's made to be pulled by the Deuce. It's too big for the M1009. Yes, you can pull it, but once you put some load in it, you'll be waaay over the safe limits for stopping. And, since it's made to be used with the Deuce, it's got air brakes, so, behind a 1009, it's got NO brakes.

Not good.

KansasBobcat

The M101A2 is also a decent candidate and it has an 8' bed which is handy.
I agree the M101 is a possible choice although above what is specified in the -10. Look at the mounting of the pintle on the M1009. It is really more of a bumper mount than a frame mount. I believe that the civilian Blazers can pull more. I'm sure the mount can be beefed up on the M1009. The problem would arise if there were an accident. Hate to be negative but the M416 is the best choice but often twice the price of M1101. Good luck.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If history is any type of an indicator then despite what the -10 says, the 101 will be OK. I can think of at least a dozen folks that have covered a ton of miles with that combo without incident. And yes, I'm familiar with the pintle mounting, I have one.

jpg

The TM limits are safe, but folks seem to disagree as to whether these are on or off road limits. That confusion led me to try to understand this better. As I understand it, towing capacity comes down to 4 things: frame, suspension, brakes and drive train.

I found it interesting to decode the VIN from my CUCV. It was built with brakes rated for 10,000 lbs, which is the max GVW. I've read that serious tow vehicles have oversize brakes, designed to handle substantial towed weight. My CUCV's brakes are not oversized at all. So any trailer would need its own brakes. The frame and suspension are the heaviest GM offered in '84, used in vehicles rated to tow 12,000 and 16,000 lbs. So the these are not limiting factors. The 6.2 is not exactly overpowered even without a trailer, but it is geared quite low. So while the drive train won't win any competitions, I think the brakes are the limiting factor. At altitude, performance of the naturally aspirated 6.2 suffers. You might find yourself struggling to maintain minimum highway speeds on steep high-altitude upgrades, even when not towing a heavy trailer.

The M1101 with CUCV wheels works well for me. It's about 1400 lbs empty, with about a ton of payload capacity. (The CUCV tires make it lighter than spec. Max payload is actually 2700 lbs, but I never go there.) It has its own brakes, which work well. With a full load, it accelerates from 0-60 by Tuesday, but driving with the usual cautions for heavily loaded truck and trailer, it works well. If I spent a lot of time at altitude, I'd *really* want a Banks turbo.

I see little point in hooking a heavier trailer to a CUCV. I certainly would never consider any trailer without its own brakes. YMMV.

MarcusOReallyus

I agree the M101 is a possible choice although above what is specified in the -10. Look at the mounting of the pintle on the M1009. It is really more of a bumper mount than a frame mount. I believe that the civilian Blazers can pull more. I'm sure the mount can be beefed up on the M1009. The problem would arise if there were an accident. Hate to be negative but the M416 is the best choice but often twice the price of M1101. Good luck.

I've towed my M101A2 all over with my Jeep Cherokee. Some of the loads have been pretty heavy. Firewood, mulch, horse manure, trash, building materials.

I take it slow and easy and leave plenty of stopping room.

No problem yet. I don't expect any.

I'm pretty sure the Chevy is a more capable tow vehicle than my Jeep.

If the downtilt bugs you, throw a proper trailer hitch on it, a riser, and away you go.