• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Getting Unstuck, By Myself... Vol 1 :)

frodobaggins

Well, as some of you may have read, I screwed up and got stuck in a hole in my yard.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/33874-earning-her-keep-well-almost.html

Well, I'm broke, just bought a bunch of tools, deuce, m105, medical bills etc.
So calling the big tow truck, >$250, is out of the question.

I have access to only one 4wd, and its not big enough (Ranger).
No winch, etc.

What I do have is some big timbers, a bottle jack, a shovel, a sledge, and
some time away from the TV.

Tools.

Attachments

frodobaggins

I had to stop, it got too dark and "Lost" was on :)

Those huge timbers under the truck were about 150 ft away. I had to roll them on
my hands and knees to get them to the deuce. While my lazy neighbors boyfriends
watched. Just wait until they need help...

Progress, Day 1:

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Question, is there any way to go backwards? If you can beg, borrow or steal enough chain and cable, the back duals make a pretty cool winch. I'd also be considering chaining about a 14" piece of 4x4 to each front tire and see if that helps pull it out. If you have some time, you can get it out!

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found out the hard way a winch does not always help. I was in the woods with my M-37 getting a load of wood. After I had a nice load on it, I started out and fell into a soft spot. I had a big smile on my face as I pulled out the winch cable to a nearby tree, knowing this was going to be fun. I got hooked up, got in the truck, put the winch in gear, and promptly sheared the pin. No smile now. I found the winch brake housing had somehow gotten water in it, frozen and stuck the brake solid. No smile now goes to big frown and some words. I had to call the wife on the CB to bring the tractor!
Regards Marti

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another good one was when my friend and I got a 2 wheel drive pickup stuck on a big rabbit hunting trip. We did the jacking and boards under the wheels trick. We were working on the last front wheel, had the corner up high on the bumper jack, and I was just done putting the last board under the tire. I stood up, said "Jeez, Kyler, this is a lot like work", leaned on the fender, and in so doing pushed the front of the truck sideways off the jack and boards right back into the muck! Needless to say we had to repeat the whole process, but with a bit of an aggravated mind set!
Regards Marti

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm surprised Rat hasn't told the 72 Blazer-stuck-at-the-sandpits-front-axle-in-the-water story yet. Or don't go wheelin after 40 hours of cross country driving.

No.2Diesel

Hi,

Thank you for using your noggin' for this self recovery. It looks like your off to a good start. All you need is jacks & wood and you can do anything......

.........."its the wood that makes it taste good!" :razz:

frodobaggins

Question, is there any way to go backwards? If you can beg, borrow or steal enough chain and cable, the back duals make a pretty cool winch. I'd also be considering chaining about a 14" piece of 4x4 to each front tire and see if that helps pull it out. If you have some time, you can get it out!
I know about the rear wheels trick, however I am unclear about what
kind of cable etc to use, so I decided to try this.

As for the 4x4, I was going to try that, but I didn't have quite enough chain.

I was thinking of filling under the tires with large gravel, what do you guys think ?

Any suggestions welcome.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gravel under the tires might just do the trick. Anything you can get a little traction on. Once you start her moving, you should make it.

1stDeuce

You're on the right track!! The first step you haven't mentioned is that you need to get out a tire guage and drop all the tires to 15PSI. Well, I usually stop at about 20 in the fronts. That'll keep it from trenching again when you do get ready to get out.

As for filler, you can use gravel, sand, anything that won't turn to mush when it's wet and you put weight on it. Judging by the pics you sent, you did quite a bit of spinning before you stopped, so you may want to jack up the rears too, and toss some sand or gravel under them so the truck doesn't have to climb out of those holes too... Then keep it on the grass and if it spins, STOP and drop more air out. It'll do WAY better with the tires aired down, as it keeps them from trenching by preventing whats underneath from following the tread channels and squirting out the sides.

C

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You're on the right track!! The first step you haven't mentioned is that you need to get out a tire guage and drop all the tires to 15PSI. Well, I usually stop at about 20 in the fronts. That'll keep it from trenching again when you do get ready to get out.

As for filler, you can use gravel, sand, anything that won't turn to mush when it's wet and you put weight on it. Judging by the pics you sent, you did quite a bit of spinning before you stopped, so you may want to jack up the rears too, and toss some sand or gravel under them so the truck doesn't have to climb out of those holes too... Then keep it on the grass and if it spins, STOP and drop more air out. It'll do WAY better with the tires aired down, as it keeps them from trenching by preventing whats underneath from following the tread channels and squirting out the sides.

C
Good point - airing down is the best way to go. When I was stationed in Hawaii at Barking Sands we used to get people coming by the house looking for help getting unstuck on the beach (it was an open base and we had the 1st house with a 4 x 4). Even the kids knew to ask - Did you air down yet?

I wouldn't get off the couch until they assured me they were down to FIVE (yes 5) PSI. If they worried about making it to the gas station to air up later, I always reminded them the tide was coming in and they weren't getting to the gas station as is anyway. 3 out of 4 times airing down got them out. The other 1/4 got me plenty of free beer! :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks