• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Getting work done on the Deuce...

ProgDrummer79

So, with the weather breaking, I'm planning on taking my truck to a shop to flip the hubs and install singles all around. I'll be taking it to a truck shop that has the facility and tools to do it.

My question is, if you were going to take your truck to a reputable truck shop to do this, what other work would you have them do? I'm new to deuces, so I'm still doing lots of research, but I was thinking about having them "refurbish" the axles with new seals and whatnot. I still need to figure out what seals would be needed. But is there anything else you would think would be good to have them do while they're rippin' and tearin' under there. I'm looking for just a few odds and ends that, even if not worn out, would be a good idea to change or update while they have it there. I'm not made of money, so I'm limited, but would be willing to spend a few extra bux on some little items. What do ya think?

Kaiser67M715

general detailed inspection of the entire brake system, including parking should be on that list, if your flipping hubs, brakes are coming out anyways(or at least drum), anything questionable should be replaced.

any good shop would kind of do it anyways, and tell the owner before work is done to anything not quoted in original job

ProgDrummer79

Get them from "peashooter" . He sells them in the classifieds. Fantastic quality !
Thanks for the heads up, I'll look for them!

The problem with doing things like this, is "where do I stop???" lol
If it wasn't for my wife threatening to cut my manhood off, I would just keep it in a shop and have them do about a billion dollars worth of work. Thankfully, since I only bought the deuce for "sunday cruising", I have all the time in the world, and I'm in no real hurry to do anything, aside from my complete obsession with getting this beast fixed up!

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Read information presented on SS before anybody starts "working" on the truck

To gain insight, read this post...
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?8460-Front-axle-seals-and-boots-stepXstep

Note that a "truck shop" will not put the cork seal in the rear axle key-ways unless you tell them about it. They don't have the TM, You do.

Reading is still free
All your answers to questions you didn't know to ask yet are in SS

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can print the sections of the TM that are pertinent and take them in with you.

rustystud

Thanks for the heads up, I'll look for them!

The problem with doing things like this, is "where do I stop???" lol
If it wasn't for my wife threatening to cut my manhood off, I would just keep it in a shop and have them do about a billion dollars worth of work. Thankfully, since I only bought the deuce for "sunday cruising", I have all the time in the world, and I'm in no real hurry to do anything, aside from my complete obsession with getting this beast fixed up!
If it's just going to be a "Sunday cruiser" then just do the safety items first like the brakes.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I highly recommend what others have suggested, replacing the 5 flexible brakes lines with peashooter's. They are the best money can buy.

On that note, since the silicone brakefluid (DOT 5) is spendy, I'd closely insepect/rebuild each of the brake (wheel) cylinders on the axles (if it's not been done before). Unless they're rusted/pitted too bad that a simple honing won't smooth them out, then replace. As far as brake cylinder rebuilds go, I highly recommend that the kits you purchase have the spring with "cup expanders" as shown below. (If it's just a regular straight spring, then that is the inferior kind and will allow the cup seal to fail sooner).

NAPA Part Number 45, Line Item "UP" (or just "UP 45")
Spring with cup expanders:
image.jpg image.jpg

Inferior spring:
image.jpg
NOTE:
I want to caveat my above explanation in saying I shamelessly borrowed the first two pictures from Erik's Military & Industrial Surplus website. Though the rebuild kits I received from Erik's had the inferior spring. So check with your vendor/source and ensure the type of spring that they actually have in stock. The kits I ordered from NAPA had the spring with "cup expanders", but I checked all 6 boxes before I left the store.

Back on topic:
And of course, check the condition of the brake shoes and ensure they are properly adjusted.

Next, depending on how much you want to (allowed to) spend on your deuce, and condition of your front axles & boots, my recommendation would be to wait to fully service the front axle until you can afford welldigger's (a SteelSolder's member here) inner-axle seal+retainer. I'm impressed with the design and fit. I've read about some having axle oil leaks even after new OEM inner seals - a problem I did not want to have after all the time, effort, and money the first go around.

While you're in there on the fronts, you'll want to see if the Kingpin bushings need replacing. There are 2 on each side of the front axle (4 total) one above and below the nuckle.
image.jpg

I'm (very slowly) in the process of all of the above. ;)

Last edited:

rustystud

You should check the King-pins before you tear it down. Jack up the front end until the wheels are just off the ground using jack stands for support. Then using a 5ft pry bar try and lift the wheel. If you feel or see more then 1/8" movement then you should replace the bushings. When doing this you need to make sure that your wheel bearings are correctly adjusted first. Try and push the wheel at the top, in and out. There should be no movement. You can also us the pry bar to check the wheel bearings. Insert the bar into the rim at the bottom and pry up towards the center of the wheel. What your trying to do is seeing if the wheel will rock on the bearings. That would mean they are out of adjustment.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks