• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ghost lighting problem

Jon Giovani

So on a couple of early morning and late night trips I have had issues with my headlights mysteriously turning off and my dash lights going off and coming back on 30 to 60 seconds later, tells me it is an automatic reset circuit breaker. After doing an extensive search the only other similar post I could find was one on an FMTV that was having same issue. I have a 1985 AM General M925. Has anybody experienced same issue with this rig and found the root problem?
I've checked grounds and have not found any noticeable bad connections, or found the circuit breaker for the headlights. My guess is it has to be a headlight switch or circuit breaker or faulty connection somewhere, just picking brains to see if anybody has any solution to the problem before I have to take and 8 to 10 hour round trip in the dark to Fort Riley on Thursday, half of it in the hours of darkness and potential snow. Thanks in advance for any help.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The 3 lever switches have a breaker in them. If you can't find any shorted wires, it might be the 3 lever switch going bad.

Jon Giovani

So the headlight circuit breaker is actually in the three switch light switch itself? That would explain why I could not find it in the wiring harness...

Jon Giovani

Ok, so a couple more questions.
Are they like a standard 2 blade breaker, similar to the mtv or lmtv, or automotive breaker? And does it seem to be issues with the breakers, or the switch itself, for the most part?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The C.B. is internal. I've taken one or two apart and realized, its better(for me) to just swap out the 3 lever switch. Some you can open without destroying, some you can't.

I can't offer a good answer for your last question, sorry.

Gunzy

I would get a known good used one and retest the lighting, if it works fine leave in the replacement and all is good. That is how I repaired the lights on an M998.

oboyjohn

I have had the same problem up here in Canada with a 3 arm light switch installed in a 5/4 ton Chevy. The switch would warm up and the breaker would trip, usually at the worst possible time,when cresting a hill or going around a curve. As Gunzy said swap out for a known good one.