• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GI gas can help---5 gallon

Oilleaker1

Where can you get the GI 5 gallon filler cap and donkey %^&* rubbers or neoprene gasket seals??????? I've typed in everything I can think of to find and buy some new rubbers. I found some narrow ones that don't cover the vent hole. _______ NO GOOD. 2 1/4 ID, 3 1/2 OD . Any suppliers or parts guys that stock the good ones?????? Thanks in advance! John

Oilleaker1

Thanks for the two leads. I'm looking for the rubbers for real GI metal 5 gallon cans. I was thinking of trying the military parts houses next anyway, but thought I'd ask. Tractor inner tube rubber is not compatable with gasoline or diesel. You need neoprene. I have the ruberized cork, but the real gaskets have a lip on one side of the rubber to help the vent hole work I think, but I'm not sure which way it is supposed to go. Lip up or down???? Nothing is simple huh?:x John

Katahdin

I don't bother with the spouts anymore, I use one of those "safety-syphon" hoses with a foot valve. Might take a little longer, but you don't have to lift/hold the can and it allows you to walk away and do something else. I recently saw them for sale at the local NAPA.

Add: It also works to add 5 a gallon bucket of Rotella 15W40 during a oil change, albeit really slowly.

Last edited:

MSgt USMC (Ret)

You can get the Donkey D*cks at Rothco.com probably Chinese made but a d*ck none the less.

Try acquiring the newer Expeditionary plastic cans made by Scepter from Canada. They make all the 5 gal Water and Fuel cans for the US Military.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
beware of the tiawanese made ones. The flat washer that bears down on the rubber is too thin and will not expand the rubber to seal up properly (ask me how I know - wanna buy five?).

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can get the Donkey D*cks at Rothco.com probably Chinese made but a d*ck none the less.

Try acquiring the newer Expeditionary plastic cans made by Scepter from Canada. They make all the 5 gal Water and Fuel cans for the US Military.
The west Texas Detachment of the SS welcomes the MSgt aboard:D

Thanks for the input.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually, Scepter will not sell to anyone in the USA, as the spout does not conform to the EPA (was California) clean air regulations. However, they do sell to our Canadian brethren and one of them now has a bunch! Send a PM to WPNS421, that's who I got mine from!

Oilleaker1

Plastic cans don't rust. I've discovered that there are alot of steel GI or aftermarket cans laying around that people don't want. The stupid rubber seal is the main reason. The metal cans fit your GI holders on: MB, GPW, M37, M38, M38A1, M35 a2's ETC. A guy gave me 3 cans!!!! All I wanted was the fricken rubbers. If you want to run alcohol gas, you need (SP) butidialene rubber. ??? Foreign to me. Anyway, cork doesn't last long, inner tube-----forget it, so try Joe!!![thumbzup]John PS, ----I don't think canadian plastic cans fit GI holders!!!:sad:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks