• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gichner Shelter Systems Nonexpandable Shelter

lexluther

Has anyone played with a Gichner Shelter Systems Nonexpandable Shelter
Could one of these be put onto a trailer frame? Seen any other good use for them?

Ok, since the link to a gov auciton is against the rules, here is a picture... They are for sale at a certain government sales site in the upper right of your screen near herlong...

Last edited:

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have a question about an item (especially if it's one that is up for auction) the best way to go about it is to save the pictures to your computer first. Then when you ask your question you can upload the pics to the thread and not have to make any mention of GL what-so-ever. Keeps the rules nazis happy. :)

It's also a good habit to save the pictures and upload them to the thread even if the auction is over as the pictures won't stay on GL's server for much longer.

Ruppster

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Sorry, lost my net connection. Anyway, I have one like that on an m200 trailer(it needed spacers to clear the tires). Someone else said they should fit great on an m105 trailer without the bed on it.

Srjeeper

To answer your question...Yes.

The shelters are designed as stand alone units that can be mounted in/on several different modes of transport. They have both tie down and tow shackels, so they can be mated to nearly anything that can carry their weight safely.

They are very well constructed and weigh more than ya think.

lexluther

They are heavy, and I have this illness that makes me think that it seems like somthing that would go fairly cheap at auction...but then all of you are probably bidding against me...

lexluther

Yours looks cool Army_Nurse, is that a roof rack? Nice idea...it looks like yours doesnt have the little drop portion by the wheel like the one in my link above. Maybe it wouldnt matter if it stiks down in front of the wheel off the frame where people were telling you to put a tool box...

Srjeeper

They are heavy, and I have this illness that makes me think that it seems like somthing that would go fairly cheap at auction...

Depending on what size your lookin for, they don't come up very often and when they do, are seldom cheap.

You can also look on e-bay & Craigs list, but be sure your sitting down when you do.

Took me almost three years to find mine with the help of others.

Good luck in your search....2cents

army_nurse

I had to wait a while till i found one that i could afford, and by afford i mean that household 6 ( my wife) would let me buy. my shelter cost more than my 1st deuce i bought. but i got it for less than what i was willing to go. for me less than 2 days overtime. the rule is if i buy stuff i have to work overtime or haul scrap metal till i get enough to buty what i want.

rlwm211

I have two shelters.

One is the S250 and it is outfitted as a communications shack with a repair station. It is currently mounted on a Single axle trailer which is designed as a Generator trailer and shares much with the MV types of trailers but is intended for an industrial market.
I have prociured an M103 Military generator trailer and will be moving the shelter onto that platform at sometime this spring. The M103 has 20" tires and will tow much better behind the deuce. I will also have room for the Generator, and storage batteries as well as extra fuel and equipment when it is on the larger platform.

My other is an S280 which is substantially bigger than the S250 and is mounted in the bed of my deuce. This acts as my RV and has a bunk, cooking facility storage, an AC/DC refrigerator, a lighting system that is self contained and also has a communication system as well. I have lots of storage inside this shelter for tools and supplies to support the truck and any camping trip.

As was mentioned above these shelters are scarce when they come through GL and I have seen S280's and S250's go for pretty big money when they are put up for auction.

I would say that as it was stated, it is a long process to find what you want and not pay an arm and a leg for one. I would add one other thought.

These are heavy, inspite of what they appear to be. I had my S-250 on the ground 3 winters ago and it was on a slight hill, and took off on me when I was preparing to move it on the skids and with the ice underneath took off as if it had an engine and did not stop until it came to rest in the far snow bank. I could not hold it. It was humorous to consider and luckily there were no vehicles in its path.

Just my two cents worth

RL

KsM715

They are heavy, and I have this illness that makes me think that it seems like somthing that would go fairly cheap at auction...but then all of you are probably bidding against me...

That depends on your idea of cheap. I havent seen shelters go for less than $400-$500 since I got mine 2 years ago. I'm looking for another one.

toughjeep

I use mine for a shed and it works great. :mrgreen:
They are insulated between the layers though so should be perfect for a camper type conversion.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks