• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gilbert 09 pic thread

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thought I'd start a pic thread for the big Gilbert rally, there were a lot of Steel Soldiers there. The weather was perfect, the trucks were absolutely kicka$$, and the buying/selling was great too. Couldn't be any better!

The trip up was uneventful, except for some rain on the way, but the rest of the weekend was clear and cool. Lost a rear tire going home, the tube got sucked into the tire itself, I just ran the rest of the way home as is, I'll fix it later.

Met SrJeeper on Thursday evening, and he helped me put up the Dawg House that I brought for the Vietnam living history dispaly. I met a lot of great folks who stopped by the setup, interested in a little peek into late 1968 in Southeast Asia. I tried to get the setup like a representation of a Vietnam War radio shack, from pictures I had seen online - makeshift wood walls, tin roof, improvised crates making up one wall, etc. Lots of period correct items, even had tunes from the late 1960s playing all day long, along with playback of AFVN (Armed Forces Radio, VietNam) jingles and ads. The deuce is SrJeeper's painted in 24087 green with the 8th Transportation Group yellow nose. The M274 mule with the 106mm recoilless rifle belongs to nickd, who won an award for his fine vehicle.

Some vets from that war stopped in and mostly gave a big thumbs-up and were real happy with the dedication we made to them and their service. A couple vets stopped in and you could see them with a little tear in their eye, some spoke at length with me about their service, some clammed up and reflected on years and souls gone by. I hope that I was able to bring at least a few memories back to all of them - my tribute to their blood, sweat, and tears.

I only took pics of the setup, I will leave the pics of the rest of the show to the other attendees. Enjoy!

Attachments

Reactions: DAS

Coal Cracker

Maddawg,

That was you at the Dawg house. Very nice setup My brother and I loved the Deuce. My 3 yr. old nephew was the one asking questions about the mule with the cannon on Saturday, and you guys gave him a hat, which he was soooo proud of, I thank you again, you've helped secure another piece for the future of the MV hobby, because my nephew is now hooked. I would have introduced myself, but still new here and learning the waters.:-D

Thanks Again!

WarrenD

I didn't know that was you, sorry, or I would have introduced myself. As a FNG around here, I'm still fumbling my way around. I was the guy with the 2 cameras, we spoke for a little bit Sat PM. I'll be posting a link to my photos once I get them uploaded to my gallery later today. I finished 5 hours of processing last night and didn't have the energy to do more. You guys did a great job with the Vietnam display, museum quality! (Just get those sandbags!) ;^)

WarrenD

That is my deuce towing the generator " Deuce_0358" Nice pics and sorry i didnt get a chance to meet you.
Please come to the MTA show in sussex April 17-18th 2010. Again you did a great job on the pictures,Thanks
Thanks, looked up the MTA show and it looks like a good one. I'll be sure to put it on my calender as soon as I get one for 2010! Hope to meet you there.

Last edited:

Floyd

Mike: Fantastic job on the Dawg House, a lot of time and work. Thank God there are a few people left that take the time to show the world what went on back then. Well done.

Floyd

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
Mike I was impressed with your Dawg house. You put a lot of work and thought into this. I could not of said it any better than Floyd in the above post. You made all of us proud...

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice work Mike! And Nick! And Bill!

I think I can see my tent in the background!

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That is really neato.