• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gillespie 383 CARC substitute

IronDeuce

I used the 383 green and brown on my truck. Did a light sanding on existing paint. Used a metal prep (POR15) then just started spraying. I did multiple coats of medium thickness. Paint looks bad when you apply it. After a couple of days it settles down and looks great. Just ordered for for my other truck.
Paint has been on for a few months-looks like its sticking well, no lifting.
Hoefler,

I'm picking up my Deuce on Saturday and looking forward to getting ready for paint.

I'm assuming you had a CARC coat that you lightly sanded. Any more info on the materials used for this?

Also, for the POR-15 - what type did you use (assuming Marine Clean?) and was this also on the CARC paint?

Was the paint applied via spray gun or the RAPCO rattle cans?

Anything else you would recommend by way of tips/tricks?

Thanks in advance!

Hoefler

Wear a good mask first. CARC is bad.
On the rust- I use a 40 grit to remove then POR 15. I buy the small tiny cans-they come in a 6-pack. Get the brushes too. Once a can is open, it goes bad even after closing lid. This paint is super tough and seals out oxygen so rust cant live. Do a light sand to get brush marks out after its dry.
Then I light sand with DA and 100 grit. And bad scraped areas-these trucks have thick coats on them-I POR 15 them then do a little bondo to smooth out. I did this only to the real bad areas.
Once light sand, I use Marine Clean-its seems to have an acid in it-smells like muratic acid. Once squirted down, I let it sit for a few minutes then rinse, and rinse and rinse with water.
I then use a sharpy to outline the camo pattern (if your truck is one color). Then I go at it-I give it a coat all over-then another before dry. Next day, I hit it again. The paint takes time to settled down-at first it will look like a clown truck-full clown factor. But after a while it looses the clown look and settles into a very nice flat-satin color. Touch ups are easy and not real noticeable. I used 12 rattle cans to paint my M923 that was one color. I did not worry about being perfect-its an ex mil truck with blemishes all over-thats the way she should look. But the rust-rust is bad-no rust is best. Surface rust will turn into a hole if not taken care of. Now she is camo and looks great. Love looking down that fresh painted football field sized hood while driving-she looks great. I will post new pictures when I get to work.
One side note-I used maring clean on the cab dash-then rinsed, then armoral. It looks almost new again!
Pete

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks