• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Give Me a Quick Lesson

David_4x4

Well I'm looking to go buy my own M35A2 this coming week. What do I need to look for the most? Is one particular manufacturer better than the other? Power train checks etc?

The particular model Im lookin at is a M35a2 w/o winch manufactured by Kaiser Jeep in 1971. It needs the basic work so far of just paint, seating, and wood replacement. It runs and drives without any overheating issues etc. Anything specific to watch out for with Kaiser Jeep models?

Thanks in Advance,

David

ah1955

Like bomar76 said model year or even manufacter name don't really matter they are all built to the same spec. The only thing with year is early years pre 1970 at least had a sprag gear front drive that needed to be adjusted or could be a problem later years and converions have air shift front drive.
Manufacter name changed as company control changed at different points in history different combinations were used.
Like any used vehicle perhishe you need to look everthing over get under truck and look at frame, body mounts, major leaks,(will always have drips&seepage) under the doors(rocker panal) is a rust point but if you have time and knowage can be nade to look new.
There are no one year that is any worse or better(location that truck spent most of it's life might)no real way to tell that most of time.
Just remember you are looking at a piece of equpt. that is 35+ years old.

David_4x4

Thanks for the replies.

My mistake on the Kaiser Jeep part, it's actually an AM General truck. The Kaiser is another truck Im looking at.

I was just curious as to if there were any specific quality control issues people have experienced or learned over the years.

I will be able to look it over more closely in the coming days. Like I said it appears to be mechanically sound just needing some body work.

Im just gonna be happy to add another deuce to the family.

rmgill

Wayne Harris has a copy (PDF on his website) of the systematic inspection procedure for the deuce.

[edit] I thought it was Wayne. I'll have to check the copy I have at work.

Download the "Operators Manual" form this site and do the "Operator Before Operation PMCS". The step by step procedure (illustrated) is in the manual. This is the fairly complete check that the Army requires every operator to perform before use of equipment.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks