• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Giving the old MEP-003a a real workout today.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As the title says, today I'm giving the old girl a real workout. We've been without power for close to 13 hours now. But still here I am, browsing the internet, in my nice cool house (90 and high humidity outside) the baby has the TV blaring, the wife is cooking dinner and life goes on all because of my military surplus generators. [thumbzup] :cool: :wink: :smile: :-D :lol:

I have one of them mounted in the old ENG-3 lube trailer, but the second one is still sitting by the garage ready to be put to use at a moments notice. The only downside to the one I'm using if the fact that it has a small fuel tank on it from an MEP-002a. So I had to fill the tank at about 10:30 this morning or so. And I'll probably be filling it again here in the next hour or two if the power is still out, just to be safe. If you don't have one I can't tell you how nice it is to be able to have full power to your home while the utility is malfunctioning. For those of you in the hurricane states, you know what I'm talking about. Since I have lived here for the last 8 years, the power has only gone out for a longer period of time once. It usually goes out for a couple - 3 hours at a time. I don't even want to think of what you fellas who live in hurricane/tornado prone areas go through.

EnteJager

I worked mine for about 6 hrs a few weeks ago, neighbor said it wasn't all that loud, I said sure is hard to hear over the hum of my 5 ton A/C unit. :mrgreen:
I picked up a 60 gal. tank off a Mack truck to feed off. I like the idea of only refueling every 3rd day or so. The next trip out to Cabelas off Rte 78 in Pa. I'll be stopping at a roadside big rig salvage yard to see if I can get a 120 gal. tank.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What percentage load are you pulling on it?

I was pulling at the most about 35%. That was AC running and well pump on at the same time. I'm sure the fridge and freezers were on too....getting cold again.

Sure is nice to have a back-up power source.

By the way, utility is restored, almost 14 hours out, but you couldn't prove it by me...LOL

coyotegray

Get that aux fuel source going.

I have my 003 attached to a 55gal drum. Should get me through about 3-4 days in the winter and about 2 in the summer if we lose power.

This past winter we received more snow that I can remember and I was all excited that the power would go out and I could run it for a few days but we only lost it for about 4 hours once...

Andy..

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Is the 55gal adapter hard to find? Didn't realize I had one till I saw it mentioned in one of these threads. Pretty stout copper tubes on these things!

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gimpy, I have some of them. You build a stand and have the drum on it's side. Comes with about 20ft-30ft of hose with the quick fittings so you can attach it to any of the generator aux tank fittings.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ferro,

I would be interested in another adapter if you have some extras. I have one already, but the second generator didn't have one with it. Both had the pick-up tubes though. I only need to make up a transfer line. I'll just order the correct JIC fittings and make a hydraulic hose at work. Hydraulic hose is probably way too much overkill, but it will not collapse under the suction created, and the price is right too.

rustystud

124.jpg
As the title says, today I'm giving the old girl a real workout. We've been without power for close to 13 hours now. But still here I am, browsing the internet, in my nice cool house (90 and high humidity outside) the baby has the TV blaring, the wife is cooking dinner and life goes on all because of my military surplus generators. [thumbzup] :cool: :wink: :smile: :-D :lol:

I have one of them mounted in the old ENG-3 lube trailer, but the second one is still sitting by the garage ready to be put to use at a moments notice. The only downside to the one I'm using if the fact that it has a small fuel tank on it from an MEP-002a. So I had to fill the tank at about 10:30 this morning or so. And I'll probably be filling it again here in the next hour or two if the power is still out, just to be safe. If you don't have one I can't tell you how nice it is to be able to have full power to your home while the utility is malfunctioning. For those of you in the hurricane states, you know what I'm talking about. Since I have lived here for the last 8 years, the power has only gone out for a longer period of time once. It usually goes out for a couple - 3 hours at a time. I don't even want to think of what you fellas who live in hurricane/tornado prone areas go through.
I know this is an old thread (I'm working my way through all the posts) But I thought I would add my 2 cents. We where without power last year for 3 days straight. The MEP-003a worked great none stop for 72 hours. I have it hocked up to a 275 gallon tank. The only problem was the 60 gallons used. Thankfully it did not use the gallon an hour I was told it would use, but then again it was at about 30% rated most of the time. That was when I decided to get the MEP-002a. Now when the power goes out for more then 6 hours, I switch to the MEP-002a. Works great.

1800 Diesel

Speddmon,

Our original MEP-003A saved the day in Bay St. Louis, MS following Hurricane Katrina. Wired it to the family home & it had to run over 2 weeks without a shutdown. The place was like an oasis in the desert--people would show up at all hours just to "borrow" some electricity for charging batteries, etc. That was also before I was familiar with the AUX fuel setup--had to top off the tank 1st thing in the morning & before lights-out. Because of the August heat we ran the unit 24-7 to maintain AC, freezers & fridge with several "refugee families" living there. These families lived closer to the beach and had lost everything to the storm surge. Anyway--I know what you mean about having the capability to have standby power--it's a good feeling to be able to help out your family or friends in need. The MEP-003A was a life-saver & it performed its mission well. :)

Kevin

1800 Diesel

Gimpy, I have some of them. You build a stand and have the drum on it's side. ...
Before filling the drum on its side, you need to confirm the top rim does not leak. I've had at least 2 new drums (after using up the Rotella 15/40) leak around the top rim. The first time it happened I was getting some fuel at a truck stop with the drum laying on its side. Shortly after starting the fill, fuel began leaking into the truck bed. That was a mess to clean up.

My plan was to braze the top & bottom joint, but never got around to it since I came across a good deal on a 100-gal L-shaped aluminum tank for the truck...anyway, thought I'd pass that on to save someone else the trouble.

Kevin

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks