• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Giving up the Tornado in my 67 M715

Barrman

I know options are many. I had a Big Block 396 in mine for a few years and a 6.2 diesel for the last 9 years. You asked about starters and seemed determined to use your Chevy engine with everything else being left alone. So I didn’t do a sales pitch about anything but the 24 volt stuff.

If you are looking at other engines. Then I would suggest you find a married transmission/transfer case to go with the engine you want. Conversion motor mounts are simple to fabricate. With a married passenger side drop transfer case you go from 3 cross members to a singe fabricated crossmember, no more short shaft to the divorced transfer case, a transfer case that doesn’t whine and is able to run above 2500 drive shaft rpm without glowing red. If you want a PTO winch then you have to use a NP205. No PTO and if you are ok with a diesel the M1009/M1008 engine/transmission and transfer case is real close to a drop in. But, you will be rpm limited to around 60 rpm. Which is ok because the 6.2 can’t push the wind brake of a truck much more than 54-56 with a stiff head wind.

4STARDAD

If it were mine, I'd dig around for a good 4-53N Detroit, and run the Spicer 3053 5-speed from the M35 trucks.

140 Hp, bunches of torque and happy up to 3K RPM, and the unmistakable snarl of the Roots blower. The simplest design Diesel of all time.

Just because I love 'em.

DG
That's exactly what my son said but I'm completely ignorant to diesel engines but thank you for the advice...trying to stay on the same concept with the inline 6

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, it is an inline 4.

Once set up correctly, it will be very reliable compared to any gas motor.

Plus it will run without any electricity needed.

Just sayin'.

DG

Reactions: HDN

4STARDAD

I know options are many. I had a Big Block 396 in mine for a few years and a 6.2 diesel for the last 9 years. You asked about starters and seemed determined to use your Chevy engine with everything else being left alone. So I didn’t do a sales pitch about anything but the 24 volt stuff.

If you are looking at other engines. Then I would suggest you find a married transmission/transfer case to go with the engine you want. Conversion motor mounts are simple to fabricate. With a married passenger side drop transfer case you go from 3 cross members to a singe fabricated crossmember, no more short shaft to the divorced transfer case, a transfer case that doesn’t whine and is able to run above 2500 drive shaft rpm without glowing red. If you want a PTO winch then you have to use a NP205. No PTO and if you are ok with a diesel the M1009/M1008 engine/transmission and transfer case is real close to a drop in. But, you will be rpm limited to around 60 rpm. Which is ok because the 6.2 can’t push the wind brake of a truck much more than 54-56 with a stiff head wind.
I was warned to kinda stay in the same hp and torque range for the future of the drive gear....did you have any issues with the big block?

4STARDAD

FYI for everyone...I will be selling the Tornado after the swap....it ran great with no rattles and no heat...and believe it or not, no leaks... I haven't had the truck but a month. The former owner was a Vietnam Vet and said he was tired of putting money in her...the fuel pump went out (vacuum version) and he tried an electric inline, it ain't working so hot... I have sent off the fuel pump to Willis in California for a rebuild...after doing so I found the Novak conversions and decided to go that route...the pump will of course go with the Tornado

• Wow

Barrman

The stock M715 axles are considered “weak” by modern built axle standards. I have a Detroit locker in my rear axle and did dry pavement burnouts with the 38” tall Michelin XZL tires. The ”weak” part is the outer u-joints of the front axle. If you turn the wheel full lock to one direction, have the tires up against obstacles, put it in 4 lo and dump the clutch. Yes, the chances of something breaking go up in a linear pattern with how much power you have. With a 7000 pound truck though lots of power applied when in a jam can break anything.

4STARDAD

The stock M715 axles are considered “weak” by modern built axle standards. I have a Detroit locker in my rear axle and did dry pavement burnouts with the 38” tall Michelin XZL tires. The ”weak” part is the outer u-joints of the front axle. If you turn the wheel full lock to one direction, have the tires up against obstacles, put it in 4 lo and dump the clutch. Yes, the chances of something breaking go up in a linear pattern with how much power you have. With a 7000 pound truck though lots of power applied when in a jam can break anything.
Yeah you're right...first time I let off the clutch it black marked my concrete driveway.....and that's just the Tornado (should've called it a Dust Devil) I'd hate to see what a big block Chevy would do the way it's geared....that's why I had in mind the Stovebolt...give it a bit more horses and greatly improve the dependability

Rhino 5/4

Yeah you're right...first time I let off the clutch it black marked my concrete driveway.....and that's just the Tornado (should've called it a Dust Devil) I'd hate to see what a big block Chevy would do the way it's geared....that's why I had in mind the Stovebolt...give it a bit more horses and greatly improve the dependability
I will be swapping out with th400 hopefully this summer. The chebby bell housing adapter stock tranny, case and shaft relocation kit will be available. I am hoping to have it all done by Southeastern MV rally in TN in October if interested. Also have stock axles and 5 37" tires on factory wheels I'll be bringing if I haven't sold them by then.

4STARDAD

I will be swapping out with th400 hopefully this summer. The chebby bell housing adapter stock tranny, case and shaft relocation kit will be available. I am hoping to have it all done by Southeastern MV rally in TN in October if interested. Also have stock axles and 5 37" tires on factory wheels I'll be bringing if I haven't sold them by then.
I'm going with a swap kit from Novak so I can stay with the stock tranny...the stove stovebolts have the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the small block Chevy with a decent bump in horses and torque....AND I CAN TRUST IT LOL

Rhino 5/4

I'm going with a swap kit from Novak so I can stay with the stock tranny...the stove stovebolts have the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the small block Chevy with a decent bump in horses and torque....AND I CAN TRUST IT LOL
Yes my grandfather had dump trucks with the 292 in them guess the first truck I helped change oil on. Last forever

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks