• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GL and no SF97

McVeyMac

As all of you may be aware, GL no longer issues SF97s on any of their vehicles sold. Aparently, the USG was not into fixing accuracy problems, so the solution was to not provide SF97s. I just won a bid on a M35A2C, and discovered that in order to title it in my state (PA) I will need to get a court order from the judge. After speaking with the Prothonotary, this is a relatively painless process that also requires $10.00.

My question is this, GL does not provide any info on Manufacturer or Year of Manufacture. I know the data plate will have the manufacturer listed. How do I find out the year of manufacture without an SF97???? Are there web-sites where I can put in the VIN to get a year of manufacture? I want to license this as an antique, but I need to know how old it is in order to accomplish this. :D[/list]

Desert Rat

MVM,

There are seveal threads on this site that describe the various locations the year of manufacture can be found. *Be aware* Some information may conflict with other parts due to military rebuilds and modifications, combat action, accidents while on manuvers and so on. If you have one with all the numbers matching, then you have a truck that's been at least not abused (unlike mine, rear axle is new to my truck from Uncle Sam).

Lax

Brent,
I just won a M35a2 yesterday from GL. I am starting to learn some of the stuff you guys have, (it may take me a few years, you guys are great!). Where is that thread you mentioned to get the info I need to put plates on my new Duce? Thank you for your help.

ah1955

I just started the title and reg. deal after I got my deuce last month
I sent a e-mail to Penndot's info line and got a very informitive reply that explained the proceders starting with the formMV-1 that you fill out and the other things you need to do.
If I read procedures correctly a court order is a last resort if you can't complete the outlined process.
I think the four requirements and the form they need should not be a big problem just take some time.

poppop

I just won a Chev S10 from GL today with no title and no SF97. I called my county tax office before hand and they had no answers for me but gave me the number of the Ga. State DMV help office. I explained the situation to her and she stated someone needed to take legal action against GL. She then said what I would have to do is get an insurance company or bonding company to sell me a surety bond. Then with a police officers verification of vin number I could get a title.

ida34

I have said this many other times. Someone does need to take legal action against GL. In most states it is illegal to transfer a vehicle without providing a title.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't rely on an SF-97 for a year. You have Beavis and Butthead making up years for these dang trucks and putting that on paper. GL and DRMO for the most part are probably guessing or making up years when they do this. Thats why so many folks are screwed up and thinking they have 63 AM General or an 84 Kaiser Jeep. Better to do the work yourself. DD did an article in MV Magazine a few years back on dating the deuce, very informative. As a lot of you know DD IS the authority on the M44 series trucks.

houdel

Ken - Is there any way we could get a copy of the MV magazine article scanned and put into the Technical Articles section, or maybe get DD to post his original work there? Is seems like every week there is a new posting from someone trying to figure out the MY of thier Deuce, this would be a good reference article to have on file!

McVeyMac

Frame Serial Numbers

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all of the good information. I have a couple of questions regarding all of your information. I am new to the MV community, except from 1976 to 1980 when I was a USMC 0351.

1. Where on the frame is the SN?

2. Who is DD (Dave D)?

Regarding titling in PA, I spoke to the DMV at PennDot, and they said that if there was no title, (in this case an SF97) then it would require a court order to issue a title. Thank goodness our state does not require a bond as some states do.

Walt

houdel

The frame VIN (or serial number, in my case) is on the left frame rail just in front of the front axle. See attached pic.

The bonds aren't all that expensive. Here in MI it would have cost me $86 for a truck that I paid $2750 to GL. The bond is required only on vehicles valued over $2500, but they let me skate through without the bond!

Attachments

McVeyMac

By the way guys,

I own a 1970 AM General M35A2 with a hardtop and winch I got from GL last Oct. I just finished a private road resurfacing project where I hauled over 100 tons of gravel with it. I sure wish it was a dump!!! The SF97 on this truck says Kaiser Jeep, but the data plate says AM General.

The truck I just won the bid on is a M35A2C. Good shape, low hours and miles. I have not picked it up yet so I do not have the SN or any other data plate information except the VIN which was posted in the listing. It is this truck that will not have an SF97, and I will need to get it titled.

Thanks again for all of your help,

Walt