• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GL Deuce I think I'm going to bid on, would like some advice

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Mornin' fellas,

So now that I have bought my first house, I actually have a place to put a Deuce. I found one here in Atlanta that I am considering, although the dreaded GL folks have it.

This is it:

http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=626039

I have read all the horror stories associated with GL, I was wondering if someone could give me a simple walkthrough of what the process is like trying to buy/bid with them.

I am going to call them today and try to set up an appointment to go look at it, perhaps Thursday.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Comments?

Thanks in advance.

Clinto

Armada

Hello Clinto
I haven't had a bad experience with GL yet, but I'm over-due. My advice is to inspect the item personally or have someone else look at it that knows what they're looking at if it's too far from you. It's a pretty painless process once you've been through it, but the frustrating part is waiting. If you win the bid, go to the site right away before the paperwrk clears and secure any 'loose' items on the vehicle. As it sits there, parts will sometimes 'walk' away. Also, while you're there, determine what it needs to drive it out, batteries, fluids, fuel, etc. There used to be a checklist on this forum that is helpful, but don't know if it still exists. Obviously it is cheaper to drive it home than to have it towed. The base I deal with has always been accommodating.
THe truck you are looking at looks very clean. A couple things I noticed in the pictures is the mounting (or lack of) the cab heater. It is not sitting up on a mounting platform like they normally do. Also there is no 'air scoop', or inlet on the side panel for the heater. The bumper is upside down for the winch too. The acquisition value is way off too, but that doesn't really mean anything. Good luck if you bid on it, but try to check it out firsthand before you do. Welcome to the world of military vehicles!

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks Armada.

I remember the checklist form the old forum, I'll look for it when I get home.

I've wanted a deuce for along time, I am pretty well read on them, but little real world experience. I have all the tech manuals, so I have pretty much all the literature I need, lol.

After reading all the horror stories, you can bet there's no way I would bid on it without seeing it and inspecting it firsthand.

I noticed the front bumper, too. Somebody must have had a late night before they went to work on it.

h1crwchf

clinto said:
Mornin' fellas,

So now that I have bought my first house, I actually have a place to put a Deuce. I found one here in Atlanta that I am considering, although the dreaded GL folks have it.

This is it:

http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=626039

I have read all the horror stories associated with GL, I was wondering if someone could give me a simple walkthrough of what the process is like trying to buy/bid with them.

I am going to call them today and try to set up an appointment to go look at it, perhaps Thursday.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Comments?

Thanks in advance.

Clinto
I have bought several things from GL including a few M35s. The process is easy: Register through their site, set up payment, screen, bid, win, fill out EUC, pick up your truck.

Take a close look at that particular truck!! I screened that truck some time ago and it is a painted over rust bucket!! The roof is rusted where it meets the cab, the passenger door is rusted out, the bed is also rusted out. All this is from memory but I have pictures at home I can email you if you like. On a positive-it started right up, shifted well, and there was a tow bar in the back (doubt it's still there). There were several other trucks there that were in much better condition that I have not seen up for auction yet. There was a real nice Deuce there, looked like it was right out of rework, and I have not seen any up since I bid on their last auction of Deuces, must still be there. The GL guy (think his name is John?) was very nice, very accomodating as far as letting you walk the yard.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Re: H1crwchf
Well, that's certainly news, I can't decide if it's good or bad. I'll go down and chat with the guys and see if they have any other good stuff upcoming. If you have pics, you can send them to:

I have not attachment limit, so send all you want. Thanks!

Re: rdixiemiller

Thank you very much, that's really kind to offer that to a total stranger. I may take you up on the offer!

Thanks guys

Last edited:

h1crwchf

Pictures

clinto said:
Re: H1crwchf
Well, that's certainly news, I can't decide if it's good or bad. I'll go down and chat with the guys and see if they have any other good stuff upcoming. If you have pics, you can send them to:

I have not attachment limit, so send all you want. Thanks!

Sent you the pictures late last night...

Last edited by a moderator:

jasonjc

I've got 3 from GL dove 1 home hauled the other 2 but the pic show clearly that the 2 needed towed.All i had to do to the 1 was remount the eng/tran and put in a radator.

As close as this one is to you I get it depending on $$$$

It looks Great from the pic.

Jason

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So I just talked to John, I am going next Wednesday morning to look at the truck (and really to look at the upcoming trucks that aren't ready yet). He did mention it runs and I could drive it if I wanted to.

I got the pics from H1crwchf and that truck look's a little rougher than what I want to tackle. I am a good welder and being a Mopar guy, I get a lot of practice, lol. But I don't want to have to do that on an M35.

So we'll see what happens.

Armada

Hey Clinto, someone's bidding on that duece and apparently did not inspect it. It's up to $3.5K with a few hours left. They'll be in for a surprise.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ok, fellas, here's a briefing on the inspection:

I pick my Dad up @ 0740, depart @ 0800. Takes us almost 3 hours to get there, becuase of an accident on Atlanta interstate. Took about 35 minutes to get back home.

Luckily, we found it ok (the right gate, apparently Fort Gillem has different gates for DRMO customers @ different times of the night and day).

The truck definitely has some corrosion issues. A few dry rotted tires, a few almost new tires (nubs still on the tires even). Bed has some serious rust issues, if I was going to buy the truck, I might be able to mitigate that in my mind becuase I really want a dropside and I would rather swap a bed than add a winch. Interior about average, no spring/air seat, no heater. Nice stiff clutch. FIred up on almost first revolution (first time my Dad has fired off a Deuce in almost 38 years), but the air tanks had almost 90 psi in them, so someone had fired it off pretty recently. Coolant temp was still cold, though. A little puff of black diesel, no oil. Small coolant leak somewhere near the air compressor. Pretty clean under the hood, small seepage around dipstick. New radiator, good belts and hoses. Front bumper not only inverted, but bent. Really wouldn't be too bad a truck if it weren't for all the corrosion issues.

Oh, and of about 5 hours ago, the tow bar was still in the bed.

I really went to look at the upcoming trucks. John told me he didn't know which of the trucks that were there would go on auction, due to other agencies coming to look at them before they are auctioned. There was another winch truck with about average hours, better than average tires and better than average rust I might bid on, if it goes up. Needs a paint job, but I can have it plastic media blasted a t very good price (I have a friend who owns a media stripping company and his booth is WAY big enough for a Deuce). I am really hung up on a winch; to me, they look naked without it.

Also, there was a 5-ton dump that looked awesome, it looked freshly shopped. [thumbzup]

Final bid in the original truck?

Some crackhead took it to $4,602.

That's way too rich for my blood.

Thanks for all your opinions and offers of help.

I hope to see you guys at Fort Gordon on Saturday.

rdixiemiller

I've noticed that deuces in Montgomery or Atlanta go way higher than I would want to pay. I see better ones on E-Bay for less money. The best deals seem to be St. Juliens Va., and Ft. Riley Kansas. I have also seen some fair prices in Tenn. and Ky.
For $1000-2000 less than around here, I can drive and pull one home. Bio-Diesel makes my deuce a 7 cent a mile proposition.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks