• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GL Gens at Ft. Polk prices?

Isaac-1

Munchies, I was just wondering how big your sample pool is, I have bought a total of 6 generators from GL over the last few years (2 large commercial and 4 small MEP's) and while all have needed some work (gauges, minor leaks, control or AVR boards repaired/repalced) none were complete write offs, or and none have needed what I would call major work, about half took under $200 in parts to get running right (not counting fluids, and batteries). One was lightly seized and had a variety of small issues (bad oil pressure switch, cut hoses, crushed battery cables, etc.), but I was able to soak it in ATF and Marvel Mystery oil to free it up, and now runs good. Another ended up costing me over $1,000 in repairs, with the majority going to having the injection pump rebuilt, of course I did pay $4000 for that one and it is a 125KW Onan.

Ike

ETN550

I've dealt with the smaller ones, mostly 3kw and below. All of them need something to be useable, sellable, and to work correctly during test runs. I have found that they have to be run a dozen times or so over a few months time to gain confidence that they will continue working correctly. Things that were fine for 4 or 5 runs suddenly become issues later.

Yes lots of piddly stuff, switches, breakers, regulators, fuel system and injection system issues. Most have their governor adjustments out of whack.

At some point it boils down to having a unit make electricity or having it to spec. Sometimes there is a lot of money that stands between the two.

I had one Pow'r Gard sabotaged with sand in the crankcase and a spun rod. I can see some group leader grabbing their oldest unit and demonstrating how to make it unuseable to the enemy! That Pow'r Gard is now a good parts machine. All the rest have been repairable to a high standard.

DRMO and GL don't do the machines any favors by leaving them outside with covers off, fuel tank caps missing, control panels open, filters off, drain plugs missing, etc. I used to buy machine tools from factory closeouts. When I look at the GL machine tools and see how badly rusted the precision slides are it is horrible. For what could be someone's prize lathe or mill it is instead turned to scrap by sitting out for 6 months in the weather. When I get on a roll and am able to look at units coming outside as I pick up ones I have "won" I notice that most are outside for 6 months or more. I have recorded hours and s/n so i know for a fact most units are outside a long time before sale.

The Ohio and OKC distribution centers do keep theirs inside for the most part. But they mostly move parts not too many whole units.

The generator ends have been rock soild for me so far. All my work has been with the engines and control systems. Housings and enclosures can be another headache. Lots of frozen screws needing ground off. My sample size is about 20 units.

Last edited:

Isaac-1

There is probably also some variation in standards here too, I personally use fully functional, but not necessarily original for my prime standard, in other words this may include non standard replacement battery or hour meters, possibly even retrofitted voltage regulators, etc. A case in point my MEP-002a came with a dead battery meter, I replaced it with a marine grade 24V meter of the same size that used numbers not color coding for the output and had screw on terminals for both posts, not the strange push on connector the original meter has. Personally I like numbers better and this is one I plan to keep for myself not sell. To a lower degree I would consider partly functional units that reliably produce power as acceptable for consumer use, meaning meters that may be flaky, etc. but will produce power at rated load.

Ike

ETN550

Yes, exactly! I think we all do what we need to to get the result we want. Most of the sets can be made to make power and used. Beyond that, it is the individual's desire of how to restore or how much to invest thus some say they are pretty good buy others say they can be a lot of trouble. Both are right. I also think that it does take a lot of research and dedication to understand all that needs to be known to find the best or most economical solutions. A 20 or 30 year old gen set in an auction is not like a plug and play brand new consumer set. Probably more frustrating for newbies or less mechanically inclined. I enjoy the challenge of learning the diagrams and rooting out and waiting for parts. But then again my utility power rarely goes out, ever. More of a hobby.

With the options for re-fitting continuing to grow and the price of original spares ever increasing it keeps getting more and more attractive to re-fit for lower cost, equal or better reliability, and better performance (in the case of sx460).

helomedic1171

I wanted something durable and easy to work on. I don't care about automatic-sensing-whatever, I just want to push a few buttons or turn a few switches, and have electricity as long as there is a flammable liquid in the fuel tank. so I got an 003. I'm also still putting it together, as I had a LOT of stuff missing, and I'm not entirely sure it will run. time will tell. but so far, I'm happy, and I'll likely buy a few more to fix up and sell. eventually, I'll get a Deuce to play with as well. :)

Isaac-1

helomedic; you are starting to sound like Storeman, it seems like he started out buying several basket case generators and after a few months ended up finding himself in the used generator business. It is a slippery slope, so be careful.

Ike

helomedic1171

You may be right. I bought mine, and now suddenly people I know are coming out of the woodwork wanting one. Mostly family, but a few neighbors/friends/whoever would rather buy one that runs from me than do the legwork themselves. If I can't oblige them, I know Storeman will most likely be able to get them set up, and Derf is willing to sell his for a fair price. Just trying to avoid driving from Savannah to VA or elsewhere to get a unit, and since I don't have anything like a deuce or a mil trailer, I'd be using my little 5x7 enclosed and my '98 K1500, which is more gas/wear and tear/etc. for only 1 or 2 units.

So basically, yeah, at this rate, I'll have a handpainted sign that says "Generaters fer sale, u pik em" in my front yard within a month. :) I guess I don't mind too much, if that's what happens, then it funds my newly-blossomed MV hobby, and will allow me to get parts for my unit. I'll be honest, I wish I had the funds to grab all of those gen heads, engines, control boxes, and output boxes that are up for auction in Mechanicsburg, OKC, and Cali. shipping would be a Mortar-Forker, however. If one could swing it, you could basically build brand-new units. if you didn't have any old take-off parts, it would mean building a frame/skid/mounts, and building a wiring harness from scratch, but for a well-motivated person, it might not be a big deal. I'd probably do it just because A) I'm crazy/stupid like that, and B) the challenge/accomplishment/satisfaction ratio would be pretty high on an ambitious project like that.

rickf

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the main reason the prices have gone up is due to the resales of the sets. People have found out about G/L and have jumped on the bandwagon. It is just like the deuces, You could pick them up for 1000.00 for a long time and then the Moroccan contract came along and the bidding went crazy because now there was a demand for them. Same with the gensets, now there is a demand because people now know both about the capabilities of the units and also about the deals to be had on G/L. Although most do not comprehend the "as is" part.:whistle:

I was at Mechanicsburg yesterday and a guy said "This stuff all works right? How long is the warranty?" Everyone got a good laugh out of that one. Well, everyone but him.

Rick

Isaac-1

Probably another thing that has caused the price to go up lately is that generators are no longer EUC items so there is not that hassle and wait to contend with any more.

Ike

storeman

helomedic; you are starting to sound like Storeman, it seems like he started out buying several basket case generators and after a few months ended up finding himself in the used generator business. It is a slippery slope, so be careful.

Ike

You got that right Ike! Certainly not by intention, but is fun and am almost even with the table.
What else could be relatively harmless at my age? The trouble is remembering to send the correct item, an issue of late....and expensive!

Jerry :oops::oops: :beer::beer:

helomedic1171

Anyone get one of the gensets from this last cluster? the Ft Polk sets went nuts again. One or two of them went for over $2k. I got one of the two 003's for my Dad from the Bragg lot. Overpaid for it at 1580 (1859 all said and done), but it was complete, pretty clean, and it's what he wanted, so I guess that's ok. going to schedule pickup next week, probably. Still watching the Mechanicsburg auctions.

bsorcs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There were two 003As at Polk that appeared to be refurbs; went for $2060 and $2110. One in Pineville w/980 hrs on a 116A2 went for $2170. A pair of 003A refurbs on a 103A3 went for $2900 in Huntsville...deal of the day, relatively speaking. Four refurb 002As at Gulfport went for from $1075 - !290. Whew!

Last edited:

derf

Looks like the party has been thoroughly crashed. 3kW Diesels are now going for about 2X what I paid for mine not long ago. I'll keep an eye on some in the future but don't feel confident about getting any more under $300.

helomedic1171

Looks like the party has been thoroughly crashed. 3kW Diesels are now going for about 2X what I paid for mine not long ago. I'll keep an eye on some in the future but don't feel confident about getting any more under $300.

I agree. Not sure how it happened, but I'm sure it's not much different than my experience when I pulled into my driveway with the trailer and dropped the ramp...

"What's that?"

"Generator."

"Ima git me one...... how you do that??"

and so it goes.

I agree, the days of cheap stuff is gone. at least the Deuces aren't too crazy...

36racin

I was watching the gens a Gulf Port. There were 4 002's that appeared to be in great condition. Like they had just been rebuilt. They all went for $1050 and up. I believe this is about double what some of you paid for your 002's not long ago. Looks llike when a hurricane comes thru the deep south everyone goes into finding a new gen mode(guilty). Also saw some 003's in the $2000 plus range. So the search continues

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks