• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GL Lost Surplus Contract

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Lol...With that said though, once the warehouse locations are finalized, we will be conducting a pretty massive hiring event for warehouse workers, transporters, inspectors, as well as admin positions. If any of ya'll are interested or have friends/family looking for jobs please keep checking our careers page located at the bottom of our website. It would be nice to hire folks that have at least a working knowledge of the government surplus arena.
No positions posted yet, I already looked!

PHasty

GovPlanet Rep
No positions posted yet, I already looked!
They will probably start rolling out next month...There are still quite a few details to finalize. To include the fact that the contracts have not been "officially" awarded yet. There is still a bunch of red tape to go through.

Chief_919

When is the change effective?

As someone who deals in a lots of the stuff you now are going to be contracted for I will tell you that you will see much higher bid prices if you keep warehouses more regional. Shipping has to be factored and I’ll bid more for items that are closer, especially ones close enough to make a one day or half day run with one of my employees to pick up.

if you keep multiple regional warehouses instead of one east coast/ one west coast warehouse you will see higher big prices. For stuff further away my bod would be the same it would if it was one central warehouse farther away but for stuff closer I’ll bid more since my shipping cost is lower.

i will easily bid 15-25% more on a lot I can swing down and pick up in a few hours vs one I have to pay to have trucked and deal with the hassle of coordinating shipments if all other factors are equal. Because it’s not just shipping cost but the hassle of arranging shipping and dealing with deliveries and trucking companies.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I'm sure they understand these things, but when one warehouse is bigger than a city block, it comes down to logistics of scale on the sellers part. More locations is not as easily co-ordinated.

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OKC, OK is a good location located on I-40 that seems to be working well. If it 's not broke don't try to fix it!!

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OKC, OK is a good location located on I-40 that seems to be working well. If it 's not broke don't try to fix it!!
Well yeah it's a good location for people in Oklahoma , but I bet people in Washington and Oregon consider the supply system broke. At a 1000+ miles from me it I would have to want something awful bad to bid on . Even at 400+ miles to Columbus ,Oh makes hard get stuff at a price that makes it worth while for a small lot.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The new contract is actually two separate contracts, East and West. Due to that requirement the warehouses will be positioned as such. At a minimum there will be 2 separate national warehouses, located on each side of the country. We have several proposed sites right now and once they are finalized I will let everyone know. As far as mixing sales, you can sort by buyer on your search filters

You should look into the Grissom RAFB in north Indiana...easy in and easy out on a major highway and central location.

Please do not locate it in secured area of active military base. That's what makes Grissom so attractive.

Last edited:

Gunzy

Northern Utah would make for a very central location for the west being near equal distance from all directions around it. But hay, if the opening bids are no longer $25 and no reserve most of us will be done buying surplus anyway at which point location is irrelivent.

jasonjc

It's not wal-mart they aren't going to put one on every corner. It will always be too far for someone. Even if its in your town what you want will be at the one on the other side of the county , that's Murphy's law.

Chief_919

Something tells me they may choose to be closer to DLA mains and I believe that was GLs reasoning.
Product is going to be generated for them all over, so they have to transport it to wherever they choose.

I am sure most of the decision will be based along the lines of where a facility of suitable size can be located and if there is a good access to interstates.

But if they are smart they will look past that and also to where there customers are and how their location affects sales and final bid prices.

aleigh

I still say AZ... :) Here in PHX we have no rust and two interstates! haha. Notice how everyone's suggestions seem to match their location...

TBH, as a buyer, I have no problem with starting bids. If it's some lot that normally goes for $1500 looking at past auctions and they open it for $500 or $1000 rather than $25 what does it really matter. All they are doing is saving time by getting the lot up to around where it is going to close anyways, which means less work for me, the buyer. Sure you lose on those snowflake auctions where "nobody noticed" and it went for $25 but that's what those auctions are, snowflakes... Lets not forget if they set a min bid and it sells, it worked or at least didn't matter. If they do NOT set a min bid, and it does not sell, they can just re-list the lot at a lower price later, or hold on to it (depreciation cost against storage cost) to smooth out the market.

And we are always complaining about the gov't wasting money, yet here we are, upset when they are trying to waste less of it. Everyone wants the gov't to save money so long as they do it someplace else haha.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lol...With that said though, once the warehouse locations are finalized, we will be conducting a pretty massive hiring event for warehouse workers, transporters, inspectors, as well as admin positions. If any of ya'll are interested or have friends/family looking for jobs please keep checking our careers page located at the bottom of our website. It would be nice to hire folks that have at least a working knowledge of the government surplus arena.
We nominate Chris Robb aka Gimpyrobb for a key role at Columbus.

Wire Fox

Hey, if this means that auctions will actually have effin' pictures of all the import parts of the equipment listed, then I'm all for it. I'm also tired of lots with no NSN, no item number, and only a very vague description of what might be inside the triwall. Those lots are a great deal if you can afford to take a 10 minute drive to preview if it's trash or actual product, but good for nobody else.

And I'll second the locality comment: I don't buy stuff that I can't drive to. Of course everyone wants a facility to be in their own backyard for convenience-myself included. I know this can never be true, just please don't let these places be at far-flung corners of the country...

GaTallguy

Supporting Vendor
I was doing a PU today and the site rep stated That GL's contract was up and they wouldn't know till Wed 12/06/17 if they were renewed or not. If they didn't get the contract they were only going to have 90 to sell off whatever had been already transferred to them.
I heard today, from reliable source at MCLB, that GL has lost the contract.

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well yeah it's a good location for people in Oklahoma , but I bet people in Washington and Oregon consider the supply system broke. At a 1000+ miles from me it I would have to want something awful bad to bid on . Even at 400+ miles to Columbus ,Oh makes hard get stuff at a price that makes it worth while for a small lot.
I see stuff sell in Washington, California, Utah and other places out west I would like to bid on too but it is too far to make it work. I did score my M915A1 in California and hauled it to OK on an RGN because it was a good buy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks