• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GL purchessing

DT466Man

RE: Re: RE: GL purchessing

dang......thats alot of compression. they make like 140hp right? how well do they do with that?? call me crazy, but what can i get out of it?

my 6.9 is supposed to be 175 stock.....but banks claims 250 for the turbo and i have stage one injectors with that.....so i'm guessing 275....it will run with my 02 PSD easy.

can i get 200 or so hp out of one of these??

i am question crazy tonight haha

FreightTrain

Banned

stock,Non turbo-125HP
stock,Turboed(either flavor)-134HP
You run outta RPMs well before you run outta horse power!More power=Less life and less MPG.As they sit,50MPH stock settings 10MPG easy.The 5 ton engine is the same Basic engine.Few of the changes are the injectors and the piston have oil cooling passages inside them instead of just a squirter on the underside.The 5 ton engine builds a Butt load more heat to get it up to 180 horses or so.A deuce radiator has a real hard time keeping it drivable without a load.

DT466Man

huh so they really don't do that bad then i guess.....they are geared low so i guess that helps.

i'm not really concerned, i'll only be taking to around the farm, out on the weekends, and to school a few times a month.

can i pull my g/n with it?? thats a big thing...30ft deckover. if i can pull it with a duece i will be happy.

so its mainly a heat issue....

my plan when i get one is to, tint the windows...probally repaint it olive drab. put a 5" chrome stack on her....and eventually some slightly bigger tires.

how do they hold on hills?? like empty i hit a hill at say 55.....how much drop??

i have never driven one to know if they are gutless like my jeep, or over powered like my truck

FreightTrain

Banned

well,My 2 trucks are light night and day.One I can hit one hill at 55 and by the time I get to the top I am down to 35 in 4th gear.In the other truck(The newest addition) I can hit the same hill at the same speed and only drop to 48MPH at the top in 5th gear.I want to take it on the Sand Mountian Grade and really put it to the test.A nice 1 mile long grade that slowed my other truck to around 20MPH half way up but that was back when it was bone stock non turbo.

As for turning up fuel,My old truck hits redline WAY too fast on the pyro.The 465 more heat than power.And you really can't get much more free flowing than the stock exhaust.Straight out the manifold into the turbo to a straight pipe stack.Only thing that might be improved is if you made up a custom tube header.But you will never make these things run with the big dogs power wise but you can drag the big dogs around by their back bumper all day long with the massive gear reduction and torque numbers.

DT466Man

thats not too bad.....atleast the second one.

what kind of torque do they make? like round 450 or so???

alas my curse.....low hp high torque.....oh well.

FreightTrain

Banned

around 300 Ft Lbs of torque or is that Lb/Ft...never can remember which way it goes.But I think the spec sheet calls it 305.

DT466Man

i thought they would make more than that.....

but then again i had a truck with a 300 that had 115hp and it would go better than my jeep that has 160 and weighs half asmuch. so i'd just have to drive it and see...make adjustments as needed.

might have to do some custom engine work. diff turbo......one off a 466 or something....and more fuel......

LibertyDeuce

Fill out the tax exemption form for the appropriate state where the G/L auction is located and save the sales tax. Been doing this for years with G/L. Just did this with the M109A3 I bought. :D