• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GL questions on a Deuce purchase

Oilleaker1

I'm ready to buy one. Once the GL payment and permits are final, I planned on taking batteries (2 -12's) and hoping it starts runs and drives. If it doesn't, I have a dodge diesel pickup and tow chain. What is involved in towing one? Does the air have to be up to release the brakes? Brakes work without engine running? How do you get it off the base if it won't run? I could call a wrecker I guess, but I live only 45 miles from the truck. I understand you have to have a appointment to get in for preview and or removal. The truck looks great and like most Gov't maintained vehicles it probably runs. They won't tell you squat to protect themselves. The one I'm watching has the continental engine and 5 speed/ two speed. You guys that have done this before are "educated". 14000 lbs is a bit bigger than my M37's!!!!! Any advice is much appreciated! John

greenjeepster

You probably will not be towing it off base with a pickup.... I really doubt they will let that happen.

The brake system is hydraulic, you do not need air pressure for them to work, they just will not work well. You also do not need air pressure to release the parking brake, it is just a hand brake.

Chances are good that it will start, being drivable is another story entirely. These are supposed to be completely drained of fluids before they are turned in, so keep that in mind and check the fluids before trying to start it.

Have a wrecker on stand by.

sandcobra164

I would not tow one with a chain down the road for 45 miles, maybe 1 or 2 at most. These trucks take a little longer to slow down than normal vehicles with air pressure built up and would probably take a very large guy to stop without air. The emergency brake doesn't work well either. GL will probably not let it leave out the lot with a tow chain. I took the same gamble you're worrying with and mine started right up with some new batteries. I do consider myself lucky on that account. I talked with my GL rep and made 2 appointments, 1 to try and self recover and 1 a week later in the event it had to be hauled out of there on a commercial carrier. I'd suggest planning accordingly. I was happy mine ran but would have been fine having it trucked out for safety reasons had it not been a runner.

Oilleaker1

I think the pickup idea is out. Even it will pull the bumper off the M35, I won't have much luck stopping it. If a guy hires a wrecker to come and get it, does one have to re-lease brake pots with a over-ride screw, or will the M35A2 roll OK with the engine not running. I'm down to drive if it runs, tow if it doesn't. Please advise. John ( I don't know the brake system on these truck----YET!)

sandcobra164

M35's do not have air chamber's on the brakes that would need "caging". They are hydraulic wheel cylinder's and drum brakes so it will roll without any air pressure. Also, if it does run, check the brake pedal travel. These trucks have a single circuit brake system, ie, all wheel cylinders are tied to 1 output on the master cylinder. If 1 wheel cylinder fails, the truck will have no brakes.

kc5mzd

A tow chain is a very bad idea. A strap would be better but is still a bad idea. I would go with the batteries and a good set of jumper cables. Most of the time you can run one set of jumper cables to each battery and they will start if they are going to start.

Be sure to check the brakes and bring plenty of brake fluid. DOT 5 silicone is the best. If you use anything else you will need to drain all the fluid out and replace it with all one kind as soon as you get it home.

Don't orget to bring a gallon of oil and several gallons of water. A 5+ gallon can of fuel should be enough to get you home. I might bring the fuel just so I wouldn't have to stop.

And don't forget to check the parking brake. I had a brake line blow on the way home from GL. The engine and parking brake was enough to get it home.

I also would get a few quotes on towing just in case. The M35's tow with the transfer case in neutral you are not suposed to disconect any drive shafts. Be sure to tell the towing co this or they may charge you a extra 100.00 or so. If you get this info ahead of time and take a wrecker company phone number with you it wlii save you money and stress.

Nonotagain

I think the pickup idea is out. Even it will pull the bumper off the M35, I won't have much luck stopping it. If a guy hires a wrecker to come and get it, does one have to re-lease brake pots with a over-ride screw, or will the M35A2 roll OK with the engine not running. I'm down to drive if it runs, tow if it doesn't. Please advise. John ( I don't know the brake system on these truck----YET!)
Again, as stated above, the brakes are air over hydraulic. The air part is just like the vacuum assisted brakes on your car or gasoline engined truck.

Release the parking brake beside the drivers seat, place the transmission in neutral, and off the tow truck goes once hooked up.

Oilleaker1

Thanks for the quick replys! I really like your two appointment idea. You can try yourself first, and come back later with the wrecker. I'll ask the yard manager if they drained fluids and of what nature, another excellent thing to know. If they did, a wrecker might be the smart way to go. A guy will need a trip permit from "The Man" at the very least anyway. None needed with a wrecker. I'm happy the brakes won't be a problem. Any other savy info.? I can tell you about anything you want to know about MB's, M38A1's, and M37's, but not the M35A2's ------------YET! You can bet I'll get there. GREEN DISEASE you know! John

KsM715

Hi, Welcome to the site. I grew up just outside of Rapid. Look up steelsoldiers member "MACCUS" He's a Mod here and lives in Custer. From what Ive seen here he is very friendly and very knowledgeable when it comes to Deuces. He might be able to help you recover your truck if it where I think it is.

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll ask the yard manager if they drained fluids and of what nature, another excellent thing to know. If they did, a wrecker might be the smart way to go.
I've never personally bought a truck that had the fluids drained but if they did you'd still need to put oil in the rears and t-case if you're going to tow it.

Last edited:

Oilleaker1

Knowing local guys is a big plus. I have tried to help people here in the Black Hills with their Jeep stuff and on G503 etc. Returning the favor actually is fun and you make good friends. Thanks for the additional tip on the differentials, I can't believe they would drain them if they were moving it around, but I'll take my gear oil and hand pump too now. I really want to try and drive it home first because that's how adventures are made. It's amazing how you meet some great people in times of need. I have many fond memories when out on the road with small repair issues. Most people want to help you fix your toy and knock back a few cool ones hanging out watching you get dirty. :lol:

scrapman

Locating a large commercial parking lot nearby I.E. Wal-Mart gives you a close staging area with the ability to buy some supplies and even make minor repairs. It is also a good place to wait until 3 or 4 o'clock in the morning to make the trip home at a low safe speed when traffic is at the lowest volume. You made a statement about being a "well maintained" gov't vehicle, that is not quite true anymore. There is a large percentage of these trucks that are coming from NG units where they have sat for months on end with out regular use. Many have been in retirement yards for 1 to 2 years or more because they are not fit for active duty use. Keep in mind these trucks are "branded" obsolete, therefore not worthy of any further investment as decreed by the bean counters. So far in my own personal expierences it has been 50/50 as to whether to drive them home or have them transported.

greenjeepster

GL doesn't care about damaging them by moving them around... they smash stuff up all the time. When they drain them they drain everything... there was a group of trucks sold in New Jersey last fall that didn't have a drop of fluid in them anywhere. One of our members (Nhdiesel) bought one and had to trailer it home because it was completely void of fluids. I previewed some at Ft Bragg several years ago that had no fluids in them. I was told at that time that it was a DRMO requirement and that the units turning them in are supposed to completely drain them. The two I bought both had fluids, but I previewed them to make sure.

I have heard stories about the units draining them by punching a hole in everything that had fluids in it so it would drain.... Preview, Preview, Preview! I can't tell you how many times I have stopped bidding on something and felt bad for the people who continued to bid, because it was obvious that they didn't see what I had when I previewed.

Just something to keep in mind and be sure to check.... As far as moving these go lowboy is usually the cheapest way to go and then you don't have to worry about whether the axles have fluid in them or not. Most big wrecker companies also provide lowboy services.

Last edited:

stampy

Before trying to start it make sure that all of the oil drains (sampling drain too) are shut! Don't ask how I know...or how much **** I had to go through with GL.....:shock: Many of the yards DO NOT WANT YOU TO WORK ON YOUR TRUCK AT ALL.

Heavysteven

Many of the yards DO NOT WANT YOU TO WORK ON YOUR TRUCK AT ALL.

Dito, this was true in my case. I had my hauled and do not regret it for one minute. I think i could recovery one now that i have experince. So many things to check before you hit the road, fluids brake line, fuel lines, air leaks, coolant, and fill the tires.

Good luck be safe.

Digger09

Steel Soldiers Supporter
:ditto: the lowbed is the best bet that way you dont overlook anything since it is unfamiliar to you. You can get it home and give it a proper inspection.

Oilleaker1

The yard guy I talked to was sort of leaning towards the truck being fine, After reading your experiences, maybe a guy should take gear oil for the rear ends and go with the wrecker even if it's only 45 miles. I love to be nice to my toys before playing!!!! The photos, which don't tell all, look very good, but a preview may be worth the trip. Thanks guys for telling me the truth! I'm capable of all mechanics, but not of unknowns! I appreciate your knowledge! John

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks