• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GL questions

tymbom

Okay I don't know if this is the right spot for this but it is a Duece question. What are the rating GL uses, F7, H7, and so forth?? What is an average price for a good M35a2?? How much work is generally required to get a truck home. I know these are general questions, but I'm just looking for some different experiences people have had. I've gotten the green light from my wife to start bidding. The only locations are 8 to 13 hours away. I can't afford to ship a Duece, so I would plan on driving it. Can anybody share their experience??

bottleworks

Do a search. A question was just asked about the rating in the last couple days ago.... bottom line is ignore it. You need to inspect the truck yourself. Being that you are in CA, you are REQUIRED to have a CDL to drive a Deuce. Anywhere else, you don't, but CA is backwards.

I was able to change the batteries in mine and drive it home. However, some have had holes in the block or a blown xfer case, etc...Thats why you need to inspect.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen them go anywhere from $900 to $4,500. Is "8 to 13 hours away" deuce time or car time? Whatever it takes in a car you can just about double it if you have good luck :lol: . I don't know what your experence with military trucks or trucks in general is but if you're not familar with them I wouldn't drive one that far. I know some people post about driving their truck off base accross the country and make it sound easy but it can turn into a nightmare real fast. Last truck I bought was 60 miles away and I hauled it in. Partly because I had something to haul it on and mainly because a lot can still go wrong in 60 miles on a 30+ year old truck that you know nothing about.

JDToumanian

Being that you are in CA, you are REQUIRED to have a CDL to drive a Deuce. Anywhere else, you don't, but CA is backwards.
No, that is not correct. You do not need a CDL to drive a deuce in California. Because of the third axle, you need a NON-COMMERCIAL CLASS B license.

Why does everyone associate a Class B with a CDL? It's not the same. A Class B is no more commercial than a motorcycle license.

Jon

CGarbee

JDToumanian said:
Why does everyone associate a Class B with a CDL? It's not the same. A Class B is no more commercial than a motorcycle license.
Jon
Perhaps because the test for a non-CDL Class B is the same as the test for a CDL class B?? Only difference in obtaining either version of the Class B (at least in NC where I am located) is the paperwork (gotta have a medical card or an appropriate exemption if CDL). Ditto for a Class A...