• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GL tax on trucks

Sephirothq

Has anyone else been charged tax on trucks or other titleable vehicles? I just bought a truck the other day and i noticed i was charged tax on it. Do I have to pay the tax twice when i get it titled at the notary? Or do i take a copy of the invoice and show i paid tax on it already?

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They noticed that when I registered something, I just don't remember what. I THINK they may accept that you paid it and not charge you again and assume they got the money on the back end but I don't remember. I do remember that they noticed because the lady pointed it out to a co-worker.

(Ohio)

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Section 6: PAYMENT FOR PROPERTY (top)

1. BUYER'S PREMIUM. (top) We charge a buyer's premium, a percentage of the bid amount, usually between ten and twenty percent, on all purchases. The buyer's premium is considered a taxable amount, and will be taxed at the appropriate rate depending on the location of the property. Buyer's premiums are standard in the auction industry, and should be factored into your bidding strategy.
    2. PAYMENT TERMS: Winning bid prices will not be adjusted after award due to an error in bidding or any other discrepancy regarding description, estimated weight, count, measure or other factors that may influence the final bid price of a lot.
    3. SCRAP DEMIL B AND Q PROPERTY SOLD IN SCRAP SALES, UNLESS BEING OFFERED UNDER A TERM CONTRACT SALE, WILL BE INVOICED IMMEDIATELY UPON THE DETERMINATION OF A HIGH BIDDER FOR THE ENTIRE AMOUNT DUE, AND MUST BE PAID WITHIN THREE (3) DAYS OF NOTICE OF AMOUNT DUE. Credit cards submitted online will automatically be charged the full amount of your purchase (including buyer's premium and taxes) the next business day after the sale closes, unless the total amount due exceeds $10,000, unless otherwise noted on our website, and unless you contact us prior to the close of the sale to specify alternative payment arrangements. No charges will be made to the credit card until the sales event has been closed and a successful bidder has been determined.
    4. Unless otherwise indicated in another written Agreement with GL, all payments must be received within 3 business days of the date of the invoice. For purposes of calculating time, the date of the invoice will not be counted as the first day.
    5. In the event you fail to pay the entire purchase price within the time set forth by us or fail to comply with any of these terms and conditions, we will assess as liquidated damages the greater of 25% of the winning bid or thirty (30) dollars. Note: Refunds will not be issued for amounts less than $2.50 nor will invoices be issued for sums less than $2.50.
    6. We reserve the right to require an earnest money deposit prior to or during bidding on certain lots at our sole discretion. We will notify potential bidders via language on the lot details page of any earnest money deposits required prior to bidding. Deposits from winning bidders will be retained and applied to the pending invoice or to any past due balances owed by the customer. Deposits from non-winning bidders will be returned. For term contract sales, the earnest money deposit will be 25% of the high bid amount unless the high bidder has previously successfully performed a term contract with GL, in which case the earnest money deposit requirement will be 10% of the high bid amount.
    7. CURRENCY. Unless specified for a particular lot or lots in the lot description(s), all transactions will be conducted in U.S. Dollars. Where another currency has been identified, the alternative currency, in addition to U.S. Dollars may be used to pay.
    8. FORMS OF PAYMENT: Acceptable forms of payment include PayPal™, VISA™, MasterCard™, American Express™, cashier's check, money order, wire transfer and company check with a bank letter of guarantee.
      1. You must make payment in full within 3 business days of the invoice date. The date of the invoice is not counted as the first day for purposes of calculating the payment deadline. There will be no extensions of the payment period granted.
      2. At the time a credit card is entered online, it is validated via a charge to the card of up to $1.00, which is credited back to the card within seven (7) calendar days after the credit card validation process has completed. The name and address on the user account must match the name and address of the credit card used for the purchase or the charge may be rejected, which will result in a default of the sale. Credit cards submitted online will automatically be charged the full amount of your purchase (including buyer's premium and taxes) the next business day after the sale closes, unless otherwise noted on our website and unless you contact us prior to the close of the sale. Credit cards will not be accepted for any invoice in excess of $10,000; customers must submit payment via certified funds (i.e., wire transfer, cashier's check). No charges will be made to the credit card until the sales event has been closed and a successful bidder has been determined.
      3. If you choose a form of payment other than a credit card, the following information must accompany a letter of instruction:
        • Company name (if applicable)
        • Customer name
        • Telephone number
        • Sales event number or contract number
        • Signature and date
        • Twenty-five percent of total bid amount
      4. A valid credit card must be entered at time of bid submission regardless of the form of payment. Credit cards submitted by a Buyer must be in the name of the registered Buyer and be valid at the time a lot is awarded.
      5. ALL FUNDS MUST COME FROM THE REGISTRANT. GL WILL NOT ACCEPT THIRD PARTY FUNDS OF ANY KIND FOR ANY REASON.
    9. SALES, USE OR EXCISE TAXES: We are obligated to collect sales, use or excise tax from ALL buyers. It is your responsibility to provide the required documentation when submitting a bid to claim an exemption. Taxes are charged based on the effective tax rate at the time the property is removed. This may be different than the initial rate at which you were charged when you paid for the property. You must submit re-sale or tax-exemption documentation from the state in which you are doing business AS WELL AS EACH STATE IN WHICH YOU ARE PURCHASING PROPERTY. We are not obligated to refund sales tax due to late submission of sales tax exemption documentation. Submission of all appropriate tax exemption forms must be received by us before scheduled closing date and time of the sales event in which you are participating. Re-sale certificates may be faxed to us at (480) 367- 1450. You will be liable for all taxes, surcharges or other charges imposed on the sale of goods by any taxing authority if tax forms are not received by the scheduled closing time of the sales event in which you are participating. Requests for refunds of sales taxes must be submitted to the appropriate taxing authority directly. All property sold in the state of Hawaii is subject to an excise tax. There are no exemptions to the Hawaii excise tax.

gunboy1656

When I bought my trailers I only paid once. If you paid less then the states rate, then they will add up the difference and you pay that. And if you paid more, they will not give you money back.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That all depends if the state you plan to title/register it in, "works" with the state you paid tax to.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Of the four trucks I have bought from GL, only one has not had sales tax collected at the time of sale. The M929 from LA did not have sales tax collected. I received a FL title in the name of GL that had the transfer part filled out to me and I took it to the tag office and paid the tax and transfered the title.

The other trucks, two from SC and one from GA had sales tax collected at the time of sale. After filling out the SF-97 form for GL, I received a FL title in my name directly from the FL DMV.

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Of the 10 or so trucks and 10 or so trailers I bought through GL, they have never collected sales tax. I did not provide a copy of the invoice. I only provided paperwork from the SF 97 process. Even the trucks I bought in PA, GL did not collect sales tax.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
When I registered my truck in CT I showed I had paid tax and the DMV lady said well you shouldn't have CT does not charge sales tax on vehicles purchased from the government she flipped over the registration application and it was stated right there funny huh.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am in Louisiana and have had sales tax charged for an in state purchase and also no tax on another in state purchases from the same location. When I asked, all I was told we tax everything? The local gl folks where clueless.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks