• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GL Winner Numbers?

Crouse

How are Government Liquidation "Winner" numbers assigned? Is there any way to associate a name or business to a number? I am doing some past auction result searching and this would allow me to draw some interesting conclusions.

RealCavDog

I believe the winner number is the customer number.

Your customer number is assigned when you register, and follows all your purchases and bidding history.

Is this the question you were asking ?

Crouse

Partly. Is there a way for me to look up and see to whom the customer number is assigned? In other words, customer number 12345678 is Blow, Joe from Fargo, ND.

Crouse

I figured it would be an invasion of privacy. i bet a lot of you old timers know exactly who certain numbers are in your areas, though! Thanks for the answers.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anything is possible, if you know the right people.

gunboy1656

If your diligent enough to keep checking the the dealers and trucks you can figure those numbers out fairly easy. But for the little guys like me be very tough to do.

RealCavDog

I would be one very PI**ED OFF M**********R if you, or anybody, could !

Same privacy concerns as any other web based auction site !

Really wondering about the basis for this concern ? You can see obvious patterns as you bid and watch as much as I do, guys that buy several trucks or trailers at a time to bob or resell, and on and on.

The only other thing I thought you might be asking if there was a rhyme or reason such as a pattern or code that could decipher an identity, but I have turned several friends on to the site, and they seem be using a simple consecutive process.

It all boils down to the bidder with the most money wins the prize.

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Auction Notes

All auctions have drawbacks unless they are one time one purpose auctions like estate sales or unpaid storage containers.

I have seen shill bidding occur by following the bids (listed as bogus I.D.'s to protect privacy) for a given item without having to know the identity of the bidder.

I have seen several other bid schemes and scams by two bidders working in unison or with the seller (again bogus bidder I.D.'s are used to protect privacy) himself to conrol an item as much as possible without having to know the identity of the bidder.

I believe that the rule of preserving your privacy is of greater concern that low life bidder scams. BUT...I would be the first to report suspected fraudulent activity to GL, EBay, Steel Soldiers or any other organization who has access to the bidders identity and who will look into the issue to prevent this activity.

Hoo Rah to our troops.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just know one thing. The lower the number, the longer the buyer has been in the game. If you find yourself bidding against a really low bidder number, prepare to give the ol' credit card a workout.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Many moons ago, You used to could go back and look at past bid results it showed the name of the bidder. It's been "anonymous" for several years though.

RealCavDog

Just know one thing. The lower the number, the longer the buyer has been in the game. If you find yourself bidding against a really low bidder number, prepare to give the ol' credit card a workout.

AND, It may be worth the workout ! The veterans DO know thier Stuff ! [thumbzup]

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
At one time GL would pass your contact info on to a winning bidder (without telling you their number) if you wanted to try to make a deal with them.

I don't know if they will now or not.

I think I know the numbers of several of the "usual suspects" but I am not sure.....I used some deductive reasoning and some other tricks.

86m1028

At one time GL would pass your contact info on to a winning bidder (without telling you their number) if you wanted to try to make a deal with them.

I don't know if they will now or not.

I think I know the numbers of several of the "usual suspects" but I am not sure.....I used some deductive reasoning and some other tricks.
They still do.
I bid on 5 "like" lots, got 3 of the 5.
I had a bidder e-mail me to see if I wanted their 2 lots because they needed all 5. I told them no thanks but offered to sell them my 3 lots.

The lady (from a very large company & new to bidding) called G.L. & they gave her my e-mail addy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks