• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glad hand service air hose length? 25 or 50?

firemedic355

I recently lost my 50' air hose after it blew out of my bed on a trip. Just curious, has anyone been successful using a 25' hose? I've heard "you need a 50' hose" multiple times, but my Louisiana math seems like a 25' should reach everything on the Deuce or am I missing something? It'd be nice to fight with and store less hose.

Thanks in advance.

goldneagle

If you add a quick connect on the end of the hose you can always add another section if needed. I used a 1/2" quick connect at the end of the glad hand. I then also made a 1/2" to 1/4" reducer adapter. Now I can use a 1/2" hose to run the 1" impact gun and 1/4" for smaller applications.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could also install a quick coupler in the cab, right hand side beneath the glove box.

m109a2

Put a t and a quick connect before the gladhand makes it easy to store your hose and you do not have to disconnect the trailer air to fill the tire.Al

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I carry a 50-footer 'just in case'.
As for stowage, it's kept secure in the Deuce's toolbox. The XM-818 will also carry a 50-footer when she becomes operational even though she has glad hands fore and aft. Since both MVs are stored in our fenced backyard, I never have to move one should one of our daily drivers need some fresh air. All I have to to is create pressure and take the hose's nozzle out the back gate. (Provided the tire needing air is not completely flat.)

The longer hose is also more useful when providing roadside "Good Samaritan" service - particularly in parking lots where "vehicles may not be as close as they appear."

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I put two 25' in each vehicle so that I can reach all the tires on the vehicle with the hose as well as trailer tires, or another vehicle's tires if the vehicle is in an odd position. Two 25' hoses are more versatile than one 50' hose. I feel like having quick disconnects at every connection is a good idea, too. You can use other air tools or even paint if you had to.

1944mb

Just curious does the service air glad hand have pressure on it all the time or is it just with the brake depressed? How is the emergency glad hand designed to be used?

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just curious does the service air glad hand have pressure on it all the time or is it just with the brake depressed? How is the emergency glad hand designed to be used?
The Emergency connection has air pressure at all times and the Service connection only when the brakes are applied. Remember, both of them still have an in-line valve you have to ensure is open/closed as needed. (I.E: you don't want to drive around with the Emergency valve open if you're not towing anything - it's a good way to overwork your air compressor or not have the air you need when you need it).

As quoted from here:
http://enginemechanics.tpub.com/14081/css/Trailer-Air-Lines-167.htm
SERVICE AIR LINES.— The service line carries air that is controlled by the foot brake or the trailer hand brake. Depending on how hard the foot brake is engaged, the pressure in the service line will similarly change. The service line is connected to relay valve(s) on the trailer to apply more or less pressure to the trailer brakes. As pressure increases in the service line, the relay valve opens and sends air pressure from the trailer air tanks to the trailer brake chambers, thus applying the trailer brakes.
EMERGENCY AIR LINES.—
The emergency line has two purposes. First, it supplies air to the trailer air tanks. Second, the emergency line controls the emergency brakes on the combination vehicle. Loss of air pressure in the emergency line causes the trailer emergency brakes to activate. The pressure loss could be caused by a trailer breaking loose and tearing apart the emergency air hose. The loss could also be the result of a hose, metal tubing, or other parts breaking and causing an air leak. When the emergency line loses pressure, it also causes the tractor protection valve to close, causing the air supply knob to pop out. Emergency lines such as hoses couplers, and other parts, have a red covering. The red covering allows you to separate the emergency lines from the service lines which have a blue covering.

On my M35A2 the handle for the valve is counter intuitive. If it's parallel to the pipe, it's closed, if it's perpendicular, it's open.

Last edited:

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Service gladhand has air through it only when the brake is depressed and the emergency gladhand has air through it all the time. The emergency gladhand supplies air to fill the trailer air tanks and control the emergency brakes. Loss of air pressure in the emergency line causes the trailer emergency brakes to apply.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On my M35A2 the handle for the valve is counter intuitive. If it's parallel to the pipe, it's closed, if it's perpendicular, it's open.
DITTO on our 1968 vintage M35A2
And just when you think there will be some consistency - my M185 is in line with your experience, the M35 is the opposite "intuitive" way..... :-?

Cheers

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I run a 35ft hose in my 5 ton to reach the rear of a tow vehicle. Truck pro sells the 3/8 air line for 60cents a foot and get the wire wrap compression connectors to hook the gladhand and female ends. 1/2 air line is 75 cents a foot.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

steelandcanvas

M35A2 Drivers NOTE THIS! It will save you a lot of confusion and headaches! Besides the master cylinder being under the floorboard, this is #2 on the "lame design" list for the Deuce. Good call Valence!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks