• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glass and glass cutters

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I wasn't sure where to put this, so its going in the bodywork section. In the past, I went to glass shops for replacement windshield glass. In a past auction, I came home with some laminated glass that looks like the correct thickness for deuce windshield glass. I cant seem to find the glass cutter I once had and will be purchasing a new one. Anyone have a model of cutter I should be looking for? I am ready to blast and paint some frames and will need to cut glass soon. Thanks for any input.

moleary

My favorite cutter was one I got from a company called "CRL" - it had the oil in the handle and dispensed it automatically as the glass was scored - but that would be expensive to purchase for just one pieces of glass. Any good cutter (new) should be fine for your project.

Have you cut laminated glass before? If not let me give you some advice and cautions.

You'll have to score both pieces of glass in nearly the same spot (within 1/32 of an inch if not closer) so make sure you set up a jig as a guide for your cutter.

Score both sides before attempting to "snap" the glass. Using the tail of the handle (usually has a ball on it) go ahead and tap one score until it goes all the way through (or until you get a "start" to it and can flex the glass enough for it to run) then tap the other score from the underside until you have it running as well. Handling the glass as little as possible would be a plus.

Once both sides of the glass are broken you need to slightly separate the two sides (the piece you want and the "drop") so that you can cut the laminate. Several methods will work, I've seen rubbing alcohol poured along the break and then lit, I've seen folks carefully use a torch to heat the laminate, a heat gun would work as well.

Gently pulling the two pieces apart (while the laminate is pliable) use the thinest razor you can to cut the laminate. A little sandpapering along the edges will make it safer to handle, and you're done.

The most important thing to remember is that you're cutting TWO pieces of glass. Any binding will cause one of the panes to break. By working slowly, and being mindful of the stresses your placing on the laminated pieces you should be ok.

You might also consider calling a few shops and seeing if any of them would cut your glass for you (for a small fee). Some may not want to because of the potential for your glass to break, and the dispute that might ensue afterward, but personally I think you're far more likely to break it yourself than they would be.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My favorite cutter was one I got from a company called "CRL" - it had the oil in the handle and dispensed it automatically as the glass was scored - but that would be expensive to purchase for just one pieces of glass. Any good cutter (new) should be fine for your project.

Have you cut laminated glass before? If not let me give you some advice and cautions.

You'll have to score both pieces of glass in nearly the same spot (within 1/32 of an inch if not closer) so make sure you set up a jig as a guide for your cutter.

Score both sides before attempting to "snap" the glass. Using the tail of the handle (usually has a ball on it) go ahead and tap one score until it goes all the way through (or until you get a "start" to it and can flex the glass enough for it to run) then tap the other score from the underside until you have it running as well. Handling the glass as little as possible would be a plus.

Once both sides of the glass are broken you need to slightly separate the two sides (the piece you want and the "drop") so that you can cut the laminate. Several methods will work, I've seen rubbing alcohol poured along the break and then lit, I've seen folks carefully use a torch to heat the laminate, a heat gun would work as well.

Gently pulling the two pieces apart (while the laminate is pliable) use the thinest razor you can to cut the laminate. A little sandpapering along the edges will make it safer to handle, and you're done.

The most important thing to remember is that you're cutting TWO pieces of glass. Any binding will cause one of the panes to break. By working slowly, and being mindful of the stresses your placing on the laminated pieces you should be ok.

You might also consider calling a few shops and seeing if any of them would cut your glass for you (for a small fee). Some may not want to because of the potential for your glass to break, and the dispute that might ensue afterward, but personally I think you're far more likely to break it yourself than they would be.

You are spot on! Great job describing how to do it.

greenjeepster

Gimpy:
Good luck with the cutting. If you can find a shop to do it for you you will be saving yourself a lot of headache. I have tried multiple times to cut it as was described above... I just don't have the skills.

Nonotagain

Plain old Red Devil glass cutter. It's only a couple of bucks to purchase one..

To cut safety laminated glass, as stated in an earlier post, score both sides, strike one side to start the crack, but at this piont you need some lighter fluid to pour into the crack, light it on fire, this will melt the plastic layer, then snap on the edge of the table.

If you don't melt the plastic the bottom ply of glass may not fracture where you want.

I have a company that makes my safety glass for my sandblast cabinet that uses this method and for what he charges me to make the glass and smooth the edges, I can't compete price wise with doing it myself.

gimpyrobb

Thanks for the info guys.. I have this glass sitting here, so I am going to try it. I wasn't sure if there was a new fangled cutter out there that made things easier or not. I will let ya'll know how it goes.

Jones

Just make sure you use oil or kerosene on the cutter. The cutter wheel needs to roll, not slide.
Practice on some scraps first. You want enough down pressure to give a good score line; and going over the line a second time if the first pass isn't good enough usually ends up in a bad job.
The correct pressure will make the working cutter sound more like a 'hiss' than a scraping noise.
I wear gloves or wash my hands afterwards since the very small chips always like to congregate between the fingers and clear glass splinters are hard to spot, even with a magnifying glass.

I have a butt load of brand new laminated glass for windshields and side windows.
Is that a metric butt load, or an American standard butt load? With the obesity problem in American, as well as in my clothing, a standard butt load is probably much bigger than a metric one.

Thanks for the info on how to cut laminated glass. Very useful, although I'll probably go to the local glass shop. Thanks.

EDIT: Why do some words show up in green????

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is your spellcheck on?

199th mp

glass and glass cutters

using a self oiling cutter is the best way, but they do cost a bit more. on the other hand, with proper care they last for years. if you buy a new cutter, get a #2
fletcher if you can, and wear it in a little on scrap--also, never go over a cut--it can ruin the cut and the cutter--keep the wheel lightly oiled--when you're done, get a cigar tube, put cotton balls in the bottom with an inch of oil, slide the cutter in and screw the top on the tube--this will keep the wheel from getting dinged rattling around in your box--remember, like we always tell the apprentices " if you ain't breaking nothing, it's cause you ain't doing nothing" don't sweat it, it's really easy.
ron hill, 40 years a glazier

gimpyrobb

Well kids, I finally got around to attempting this project. I must say it took a long time but in the end, I'm glad I did it. I had to get this one knocked out as I needed it for the M109 I am selling, so the next time I do it- it will be with pics taken too. Thanks for the advise, it worked well.

jcolandreo

I have a glass shop in Maryland. We use a hot cutter (new sharp cutter, not dull) on laminated glass. Make sure the glass is clean were you are going to cut. Use ether kerosene or turpentine on the glass where you are going to cut. Score (cut) one side of the glass and immediately run the cut. Score the other side of the glass and immediately run the cut. Next overhang the cutoff piece of glass over the edge of the table. Then squirt denatured alcohol on the cut (not too much) and light is on fire. This softens up the polyvinyl butyral (PVB) interlayer. When the alcohol burns out gently push down on the cut off piece of glass and use a razor blade to cut the PVB. Do not lift up on the glass when cutting the PVB or you will chip the edge. We then use a 3” x 21” belt sander with a silicon carbide belt to sand and polish the edge. Be extra careful when sanding the glass you not over heat corners, this will crack the glass.

Hi wreckerman893, I see in this post you had new laminated glass for windshields and side windows. I am trying to find the correct cut size for both the windshield and side windows. If you still have any glass is it possible you could post the dimensions? I need to cut new glass for my M35A2.
Thanks
Joe

PS. If any members of Steel Soldiers need their glass cut, bring it to me I will cut it for you, Steel Soldiers has been such a help to me the least I can do is cut glass for its members. I also have 72" x 96" sheets of 1/4" laminated glass and an acid stamp logo (laminated Safety Glass AS2)

Last edited:

Bighurt

Hi wreckerman893,
I see in this post you had new laminated glass for windshields and side windows. I am trying to find the correct cut size for both the windshield and side windows. If you still have any glass is it possible you could post the dimensions? I have a glass shop in Maryland and need to cut new glass for my M35A2.
Thanks
Joe
One piece trimed per window on an M35. He has a butt load, I'd say it's a little over 2' x 2' per piece.

For others reading this thread, it's way easier to pay a glass guy to cut your laminated glass. Not that it can't be done, but for what they charge, it's worth the money.

gimpyrobb

Nah, it really wasn't that big of a deal. If you have it laying around(like I did/do) take an afternoon and try it out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks