• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glove box ideas/ tire pressure differences

fnpurist

Post up your pics of what you guys are using as your "glove box" for important papers etc. I saw a pic of someone using an ammo can but am hoping to find some more creative ideas that store more stuff. Maybe some type of medical chest could work well ? Also my hmmwv has 20 and 25 tp stenciled above the tires but Most pics I've seen have 40 and 45 tp. Is this due to mine having the older 12 bolt rims and they can't handle as much air?

fnpurist

I think I remember that. I know on one thread a guy had a really nice black center console with built in cup holders that he had made

Special T

I think the psi just has to to whith the load and what they were using it at. Marking the psi on shared vechiles is smart that way you know if they are low or not. The 8 bolt rims for the bias 36" had the lowest rating and I think they are rated for at least 40psi. The 12bolts are for the radials so are rated for at least 60psi.

papakb

My truck started life as an M1026, morphed into an M1038 and now is configured as an M996A1 ambulance. The HMMWV in it's basic configuration ran tire pressures of 25 psi. After the military geniuses began to use them as armored vehicles and hung a ton of metal on them they raised the pressure to 40 psi to handle the increased loading. The ambulance weighs in at 8500# so I now run 40 psi but 25 should be good for most 998s.

Kurt

KansasBobcat

On the glovebox question: I have seen where someone mounted a military radio shell and hinged the front. Seems clever to me but more costly than ammo box. Also with old style driver seat you could hinge the front and install there after moving fire extinguisher.

fnpurist

About to install high back seats next week. Keeping a small water tight box under it is a good idea for important papers. I think you could make a good one with a radio shelf but they are a little pricey and would still need a decent amount of work to make it very useful as a center console. Might just make one out of cabinet grade ply or try and find some type of mil chest or box and hole saw 2 holes for a cup holder. It'd be ideal to have the cup holders on a separate part though so if I need to open the lid I won't have to remove the drinks

Predator42

This is probably the one you guys were discussing. I had a friend up the road build it using a design and dimensions I gave him. I am sure I could replicate it for others at some reasonable cost for time, materials and shipping. I love it and use it daily. There is lockable storage in the center. I painted it black in the beginning but where it sits in the sun I felt it would be better to paint it green and it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb being green. Anyway for what its worth it works for me. I put some non skid material in the center area to hold stuff so it doesnt slide around.
IMG_9180.jpgIMG_9182.jpgIMG_9188.jpgIMG_9193.jpgIMG_9190.jpgIMG_0924.jpg

Predator42

This is probably the one you guys were discussing. I had a friend up the road build it using a design and dimensions I gave him. I am sure I could replicate it for others at some reasonable cost for time, materials and shipping. I love it and use it daily. There is lockable storage in the center. I painted it black in the beginning but where it sits in the sun I felt it would be better to paint it green and it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb being green. Anyway for what its worth it works for me. I put some non skid material in the center area to hold stuff so it doesnt slide around.
View attachment 590356View attachment 590357View attachment 590358View attachment 590360View attachment 590359View attachment 590361

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks