• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow plug advice.

LtDan

So I am looking to install new glow plugs. I am so confused on something so simple. First off, I have always thought the starter, and glow plug system was 24v. Is this fact, or is the glow plug system 12 volt? And I tried to figure out the best brand GP, but most of what I get is opinions that do not lead in any one direction. I see in the fact section AC Delco 60G is recommended. Is that the plug that works best with the 6.2J based on majority opinion? I simply want the very best plug I can get that is not made in China.

Thank you

Miah

The Glowplugs themselves are 12v. In a stock system GM configured a resistor on the back of the engine bay which took the 24v & stepped it down to 12 to go to the plugs. With that design any plug failure would cause the remaining plugs to receive more voltage & cause them to fail prematurely in a cascade failure. Most cucv owners remove the 24v resistor & just run the whole thing natively off the 12v buss

cucvrus

I used the AC Delco 13G and maintained the stock glow plug system in it's entirety for over 25 years. Never done any bypasses or push buttons. I maintained the system. That means if something went wrong in stock form (and it will) I found the failure and replaced with compatible parts. Even if they were made in Katmandu. The myth about everything made in a foreign land is just that a myth. If it works and it fits use it. It is getting hard to find genuine parts and USA made parts. Look at 95% of our shoes and boots. GoodL:uck. Maintain the original system and it will last forever. I have 25 years of living proof. Be Safe.

Last edited:

Barrman

As posted above. The stock replacement is the 13G. 12 volt.

I have 60G glow plugs in all of my trucks. You have to change the wire connector for them to plug in. However, since the 60G is self limiting. They self regulate and shouldn’t swell up if on too long or even worse. Explode inside your engine.

LtDan

The Glowplugs themselves are 12v. In a stock system GM configured a resistor on the back of the engine bay which took the 24v & stepped it down to 12 to go to the plugs. With that design any plug failure would cause the remaining plugs to receive more voltage & cause them to fail prematurely in a cascade failure. Most cucv owners remove the 24v resistor & just run the whole thing natively off the 12v buss
That is good to know. Thanks. I am sure I am going to want to do that mod myself.

LtDan

I used the AC Delco 13G and maintained the stock glow plug system in it's entirety for over 25 years. Never done any bypasses or push buttons. I maintained the system. That means if something went wrong in stock form (and it will) I found the failure and replaced with compatible parts. Even if they were made in Katmandu. The myth about everything made in a foreign land is just that a myth. If it works and it fits use it. It is getting hard to find genuine parts and USA made parts. Look at 95% of our shoes and boots. GoodL:uck. Maintain the original system and it will last forever. I have 25 years of living proof. Be Safe.
Good solid advice. I plan to keep the truck as stock as possible with any upgrades being things that truly fix common issues while maintaining the original look, and function in every way.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks