• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow plug/card/relay problem?

ragedracer

Glow plug/card/relay problem UPDATE -ITS THE PLUGS!!

I tried searching for this, but came up with nothing..

I can't quite figure out where the issue is, as everything seems to be working properly, but something isn't! I recently replaced my GP's. All get volts, and are in working order. Relay clicks on when I turn the key. Wait light comes on, then goes off. But, the truck is getting progressively harder to start.

The issue seems to be that the plugs aren't glowing for long enough. When monitoring the voltage to the GP's as I turn the key on, they get voltage for about 4 seconds, then the relay clicks off for about 2-3 seconds. It then clicks on again for about 2 seconds, then clicks off. It continues that cycle for about 10 seconds, but it seems that the plugs aren't getting voltage long enough to actually get hot. Once the motor is started and hot, it fires on the first revolution every time.

Where and what should I be looking for? Is my card going bad - not commanding the relay on for long enough? Is my relay going bad - shutting off early due to bad internal parts??

What would you replace first?

Last edited:

ragedracer

How are you sure your glow plugs are good?

What is the voltage going to the glow plugs (when the relay is on)

Well, I guess I'm not sure... But if I jump the relay (manual glow) and hold it for 10 seconds, it fires right up every time. Voltage to the plugs is right about 17.

ragedracer

you have failed glow plugs.... :)

The card is shutting down early due to improper voltage on the sense wire.

FRACK!

These are less than 2 months old. Maybe less than that. They are 070's from ssdieselsupply.com

What would have killed them that fast? Possible to figure out for sure which are good and which are bad so I don't have to order 8 again?

ragedracer

So, its the plugs.

Lasted less than 2 months. I ordered them on 09JAN. Its now 09MAR. 6 out of 8 are completely dead. No reading with the ohmmeter at all. They all look fine, no swelling or broken tips.

Contacting ssdieselsupply to see what they will do....

Any ideas as to what could cause them to burn up that quickly?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks