• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

glow plug card repair

K9Vic

I can repair them but radio shack has become more of a cell phone and computer store.
In the days they had everything electric and now its just cable connecters and ect.
I can repair them but I have to order the parts which now cost money.
What is the Radio Shack part number for the common part that goes bad? I have the only outlet store near me in Fort Worth and they may still have them there at anything from the stores outdated is sold there. Not saying they will have them, but worth a try next time I stop in there.

btrapr

I am far from being electircally inclined! but I have built some boards and projects.

Basically you have

the 14 pin, transitors, resistors, capacitors, and the OTHER black square that looks bent over with a rivet in the metal base is some sort of a FET

Does anyone have a BAD BOARD??? I would like to get one of these to ship to the guru...

thanks

Last edited:

niferous

I've shown the black square thing with the rivet to a few now and nobody can get a replacement part number for me. That's all I need and I can start having these boards built.

Stihl029

I've shown the black square thing with the rivet to a few now and nobody can get a replacement part number for me. That's all I need and I can start having these boards built.
This black box thing is q2 it is listed in the first link that I posted. I have replaced several of these. be careful when using a dremel to remove the eyelet. since the eyelet was soldered in and I did not want to spring for the punch for them I have been using runs that you would normally repair boards with and soldering the piece down. I have found it to be a breeze if you use some small hemostats to hold the heatsink down.

HAWKMAN

This black box thing is q2 it is listed in the first link that I posted. I have replaced several of these. be careful when using a dremel to remove the eyelet. since the eyelet was soldered in and I did not want to spring for the punch for them I have been using runs that you would normally repair boards with and soldering the piece down. I have found it to be a breeze if you use some small hemostats to hold the heatsink down.
I've been trying to follow this thread as I have three cards with this"black box thing" blowen out and would like to repalce them but I haven't seen a part number...or maybe I just missed it, was there a part number that I can look up on line from Radio Shack?

Stihl029

I've been trying to follow this thread as I have three cards with this"black box thing" blowen out and would like to repalce them but I haven't seen a part number...or maybe I just missed it, was there a part number that I can look up on line from Radio Shack?
Here is a link to get them they are .57 each this was posted on the other thread I had posted.

ON Semiconductor - 2N6388G - Allied Electronics

K9Vic

I need to make an order for some other stuff at Allied and I am local so I always pick my stuff up and try to order stuff over the $25 minimum to avoid the $5 handling fee. I know that shipping for a cheap part like this and handling is insane, so how many of you need this part? I can buy a bunch of them and then it would only cost about $1.00 to ship them US Mail first class. I can take PayPal and would just charge a small fee to cover their fee and time to ship.

If this is of interest to anyone let me know, I was planning on making my order next week at Allied.

HAWKMAN

I need to make an order for some other stuff at Allied and I am local so I always pick my stuff up and try to order stuff over the $25 minimum to avoid the $5 handling fee. I know that shipping for a cheap part like this and handling is insane, so how many of you need this part? I can buy a bunch of them and then it would only cost about $1.00 to ship them US Mail first class. I can take PayPal and would just charge a small fee to cover their fee and time to ship.

If this is of interest to anyone let me know, I was planning on making my order next week at Allied.
Put me down for a half dozen of these "little black boxes" Let me know when/where to send funds.

tjmilitary

Can anyone that has done it before fix mine? One of mine the little black box is burnt up. the other looks like that long 14 pin? gizmo has a hole in it. can anyone repair them and how much do you charge?

musclecars664

recently been having problems with my glow plugs not working. i have checked all of the wires going to the card and they seem to be functioning properly. I pulled the card out and looked at it. sorry if this is a dumb question but it doesn't have any signs of burnt or melted parts. can it still be broken if there is nothing visually wrong with it?

Attachments

Crash_AF

You said recently having problems... did they work before? Did you make any changes right before the problem started?

Did you check the arrangement of the wiring? The TM contains a mistake and if it's wired up as the TM says, the glow plugs will not function.

The small orange wire, which tells the card that the glow plugs are receiving voltage, is supposed to be on the glow plug terminal on the relay, not the power in terminal.

Have you grounded out the terminal with the light blue wire to see if the relay closes? Start another thread for troubleshooting your glow plugs if these don't work...

Later,
Joe

musclecars664

You said recently having problems... did they work before? Did you make any changes right before the problem started?

Did you check the arrangement of the wiring? The TM contains a mistake and if it's wired up as the TM says, the glow plugs will not function.

The small orange wire, which tells the card that the glow plugs are receiving voltage, is supposed to be on the glow plug terminal on the relay, not the power in terminal.

Have you grounded out the terminal with the light blue wire to see if the relay closes? Start another thread for troubleshooting your glow plugs if these don't work...

Later,
Joe
they were working just fine, the only thing that i did just before they stopped working is changing the power to the relay from 24V to 12V. (i was having problems with glow plugs burning out) as soon as i made the jumper wire from the relay to the distribution block on the firewall it stopped working. i switched it back to 24V to see if i could get it working again and i got nothing.

Crash_AF

When you say distribution block on the firewall, you mean the diamond shaped one just above the relay? Just want to make sure you didn't hook it to the big block on the passenger's side, because that's 24V and would burn out all the glow plugs quickly.

Again, I'd suggest starting a new thread so we don't clutter this one up with troubleshooting your specific issue.

Later,
Joe