• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

glow plug cycle time

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
There are minor differences between the differing EESS and PCB's. Also ambient temperature and engine temperature may affect the answer.

Which do you have? Other members will better be able to advise with that information.

Kenneth Cole

Hi
When starting her in 50 degree weather she may cycle on and off at idle for 15 minutes before staying off. When it comes to EESS or PCB How can I tell which?

Ken

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The devices that control the glow plugs and such are called EESS or PCB boxes, and are located under the dashboard and to the left of the steering wheel, over the driver's left knee. It is roughly behind the metal plate that holds the glow plug light and ignition lever. It has a label on it. Take a picture of the label and post it on the forum and one of the guys who knows more than I can explain how that particular unit functions.

It will look something like this (although make and model will vary):

HMMWV_SSI_start_control_box.jpg

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi
Here is a picture of what I have which is a PCB as you had mentioned.

Ken
thats an old protective control box, the GP controller is on the water crossover, that is a high failure rate item.
the EESS moved the controller function too the box, the TSU only ends a signal now that engine is hot or cold.

Kenneth Cole

Retiredwarhorses

OK,Now you have me confused. First are you saying the PCB has nothing to do with the glow plugs? You said the GP controller is on the water crossover. Where is that located? What is the TCU? Sorry for the ingorance.
Ken

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
An EESS is not a PCB...

You have a PCB, the newer models are computerized. They are called EESS.

Temperature Control Unit (?) is the device that looks at engine temps to identify if glow plugs need to be activated.

An EESS works differently from a PCB, and does more internally. That is what RWH was referring to.

Bottom line is that you need a new box and a new temp control unit. RWH prefers newer EESS models. You would need to buy one of those with the matching temp sender unit.

I think you should contact a site sponsor and member like 86HUMV for parts so he can clue you in.

You can also google and then call the store called Kascar if 86HUMV is not around.

You need to explain that you have a KDS green box that you need to upgrade to an EESS with matching temp sensor.

Be prepared to give away the better part of $900