• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow plug day for my 1151a1 rev

mrfarb

Yeah, I thought I’ll go out this morning and change the glow plugs out, shouldn’t be too difficult. No. Just no on the right side. I feel like this is what happens when you keep adding more and more features but don’t reengineer the simple basic maintenance items. Pretty much seems like I have to strip off a lot of things to even see them. Is there a better way? I know, time to read the maintenance manual…. just venting. lol.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Right side....take the 2 wire harness bolts out of the heat shield, and the rear GP...bend or remove part of the heat shield.....front :remove air cleaner housing, and move water bottle.

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
:ditto:

Be thankful that none of them are broken off, and rusted into the head like I have. Only one shop in town was willing to work on it and they wanted to R&R the heads and send them off to a machine shop to get them out. Easier to just R&R the entire engine! Now I understand why folks do Cummins swaps!

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:ditto:

Be thankful that none of them are broken off, and rusted into the head like I have. Only one shop in town was willing to work on it and they wanted to R&R the heads and send them off to a machine shop to get them out. Easier to just R&R the entire engine! Now I understand why folks do Cummins swaps!
SHHHH, don't jinks him, he has not tried to pull them yet......

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes good luck. These can be a real bear. Some you get from up top some from down below and the rears from inside the cab. Horrible design from the get go. Please make sure to use some copper never seize on the threads of the new ones.

I sure hope you got real ones and not that chicom junk.

Mark

mrfarb

I buy all my maintenance products like these from MAC to make sure I’m getting real parts.

Project is done, starts instantly now. This truck went through IROAN in 2016 so it’s in good shape, at some point got a new TSU and start box, glow plugs weren’t bad looking - going to test the old ones out. The issue I had was minor, had a few revolutions before starting which is livable, but I have another that starts instantly even in below freezing, so looking for that kind of performance from this one.