• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow Plug Failure

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Ok, here's the story. I just got my 1028A3 running about a month or so ago. I rebuilt a 6.5 and dropped it in with new wellman GP's. I have not driven the truck other than to just do a quick test drive, maybe 5-6 miles tops, I have however started it in the yard a number of times. Fast forward to the last week or so, it suddenly got very hard to start and I thought I might have a fuel line issue, sucking air etc. I checked everything and replaced a couple of hoses that looked suspect, no change. . .

So today just for heck of it I took a meter and checked all the GP's, I only had 2 on the drivers side that were good. . . GP controller card cycles as it's supposed too, GP relay cycles on and off, checked with meter. So I replaced the bad plugs with 6 more brand new wellman's and the truck starts perfectly now.

I sure everyone knows what my question is. . .

Why did I have a failure of 6 GP's with as little time as this engine has on it, maybe 4 hours? :-?

Truck is stock, not modified in any way.

Assel

did you crank it with glowing & no start after that? if you crank/glow without start you kill the GPs... and are the AC delco not known for being better than wellmans? maybe you just got badluck....

cucvrus

My opinion is Wellmans is the issue. They are know as Swellmans. I had several sets given to me years back and they all failed very quickly in the CUCV's.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
My opinion is Wellmans is the issue. They are know as Swellmans. I had several sets given to me years back and they all failed very quickly in the CUCV's.
3 of the failed plugs were swelled but I managed to get them out. . .

cucvrus

I have all of mine bone stock and use the AC Delco 13 G plow plugs. It has never been an issue in over 20 years of personal use. And the ones I am buying still have them in at over 30 years. The choice is yours. The 13 G has the 3/16" tabs and does not require any cutting of the terminal ends.

Two things that have happened to me in the past. The temp sensor is bad and the card does its thing and gets cycling the glowplugs and they burn out. That's a 10 buck switch. And the other is cheap knockoff glowplugs from china boxed as good ones! Boy those sucked to get out.

cucvrus

Roger that timarr. I have been there and done that more times then I can count. Most times it was on another persons dime. Knock on simulated wood grain panel I have never had to take a cylinder head off to get one out. Some choice words were used at time to scare the bulging plug out of it hole. But they came out. Most of them thru the nozzle hole. Good Luck with your projects.

tbearatkin

My opinion only. If you want to keep buy Glow Plugs then DO NOT bypass the resistor. But remember as soon as one GP goes bad the others will very Quickly follow as you are now increasing the volts beyond the 12V they are designed for. Bypass the resistor and switch it to 12V and when one goes bad they will still only get 12V. Since I switched my quite a few years ago my Glow Plugs are still going strong. You choice spend $80+ every time or only have to spend $10 when one goes bad.

cucvrus

I have never had this glow plug issue with any of my vehicles. I may be blessed with good luck. I am tough on maintenance and check everything and fix things as I see them going bad. I just never had an issue with the glow plugs. I have been using the AC Delco 13 G for 20 years in every CUCV I own and have owned. That is all I ever put in them. Other then a few sets of well mans some GI gave me. Big mistake. The original AC Delcos are still available from the Chevrolet dealer and they last. I only put 1 set in my m1028A1 in 19 years/172k miles. That is pretty good. Can't beat that with a stick. I will continue to do everything stock as long as the parts are available.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
I ordered 3 sets of 8 13G's from accurate diesel, less than 10 dollars a plug and free shipping + no tax

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks