• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow Plug Help

I've recently started having some serious starting issues with my CUCV.
The issue is that when starting the engine will initially turn over and briefly run and then die. It then takes about two attempts with about 30sec cranking cycles to get the engine to catch and run.
I'm really not sure what causes this. I initially solved it with a new fuel filter, that stopped the issue for about a year. So when the issue came back I replaced the filter again but this time it didn't work.
I think the glow plugs are partially responsible as the ones I pulled looked like someone torched them. But the problem is the glow plugs I can get are too big to plug into the glow plug harness as the tabs are rectangular instead of pointed.
Sorry for the text dump but I want to hear your advice on the starting issue and what you would do about the glow plugs.
Thanks a lot

ralbelt

Install the AC 60Gs, you can grind the tabs to fit or change the terminal to fit. I also changed the glow plug circuit to the 12v terminal to prevent cascading failure.

I bought the delcos but they won't plug into the harness
I have no idea what are currently in my truck. For all I know they are the originals.
My big problem is I think I need a new harness
But I'd like more info before I drop $150 on a harness

Edit: What do you mean by cascading failure?

Last edited:

ralbelt

When they are on the 24v circuit as one fails more is sent to the remaining and so on causing them al to fail, there is a lot of info on here about it.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm pretty sure mine are failing. They are only about three or four years old, but they're Bosch brand I got on ebay and I don't think they were all working when I put them in.

My symptoms sound like yours; I cycle the glow plugs two or three times, foot half way in, crank, doesn't catch. But now there's fuel in the cylinders, so I do the same thing and it does that thing were it's sorta running as long as the starter is engaged, then dies when you let off on the key. The next attempt will usually stay running. If it's very cold it'll run on it's own for a few seconds then die. After that the next attempt will start it fine.

I have some AC Delco 60s in the cart at Rock Auto. does anyone have a cheaper source?

cucvrus

I've recently started having some serious starting issues with my CUCV.
The issue is that when starting the engine will initially turn over and briefly run and then die. It then takes about two attempts with about 30sec cranking cycles to get the engine to catch and run.
I'm really not sure what causes this. I initially solved it with a new fuel filter, that stopped the issue for about a year. So when the issue came back I replaced the filter again but this time it didn't work.
I think the glow plugs are partially responsible as the ones I pulled looked like someone torched them. But the problem is the glow plugs I can get are too big to plug into the glow plug harness as the tabs are rectangular instead of pointed.
Sorry for the text dump but I want to hear your advice on the starting issue and what you would do about the glow plugs.
Thanks a lot
Check for wet or dampness around the fuel filter or at the throttle shaft seals on the injection pump. That could allow a fuel drop situation. It will start and then shut off till you re-prime the fuel system. It may have nothing to do with the glow plugs. I still run 13G glow plugs in all my CUCV's and I have them hooked up stock. No cascade here. I do have a few glow plugs fail. Yes. That happens. I have the same M1009 for 18 years. I change them as needed. But check out the fuel system before you start anywhere else. it's worth a look see. Have a great day.

Hasdrubal

Here's a simple test you can do. When you shut it down, crack the fuel cap, you should hear a vacuum release sound. If it fires right up next morning, you have a fuel leak somewhere that is sucking air into the system. Do you have the factory fuel filter set-up?

Thanks for all the advice. I have some free time today so I'll definitely check out the fuel system
As far as I know and what the PO told me I believe the truck is 100% stock

cucvrus

GOOD. Try and keep it that way. It works well for many others including myself. It makes it easier to help diagnose and repair from afar via the internet. Other wise too many variables. I know first hand the stock system works well when maintained. Same as changing it. It will still require routine maintenance. 30 year old vehicles usually do. Good Luck. Call on me and others anytime you need some assistance.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
... I'll definitely check out the fuel system
As far as I know and what the PO told me I believe the truck is 100% stock
Stock doesn't mean it's fully functional. I've been chasing air leaks in the fuel line on a stock Unimog for weeks now. Fuel doesn't leak out, but air leaks in, somewhere, and that leads to crappy performance - or even no performance at all.

cucvrus

Fuel leaks out on CUCV's fuel filters, worn line and throttle shaft seals. They do leak fuel. it will be replaced by air. But fuel does leak out. Stock is just easier to use the books to diagnose. Unless like me I have no books. Just experience. Good Luck with the AG unit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks