• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow Plug light....WTF, over

combatmech

Howdy all,
Got in the truck, wait light stayed on a little longer that usual. Cranked right up. Wait light stayed on. Drove around a bit.....Got back in, turn the key to on, wait light came on, went out, cranked right up, wait light came back on.
Followed the T/S tree in the book. Pulled the glow plug card, light went out. Truck was still warm, cranked right up. Let truck sit for 4 plus hours. GP card still removed....got in and after a 10 count, cranked right up.
GP relay prior to removal of GP card was warm.
??????:deadhorse:????????

BiggsChevys

sounds to me like your gp module is failing.... the components used to made the gp module had a life expectancy of about 20 years....

check to see if the module is continuing to activate the glow plug circuit after the engine is running... when the light is on...

my module recently fried... fired it up cold, everything looked good, lights, gp relay chatter.... sat idling warming the engine and started to smell smoke... (I am anal and spend a few minutes warming any engine).... found the resistor bank smoking and when turning the key off the dash was too.... fried the plugs too... logic says the module fried on the "on" position continuing to power the gp circuit.

went push button and have not had problems since...

good luck man...

aebiv

Hey Biggs, when you went manual did you just end up pulling the GP card and have a 12v switch/button going to the relay?

I've got that wired now, but I still have the GP card, and wiring in place (since it still works) and was just curious if that is all you did.

Combatmech, I'd agree that the best route is to go to a push-button GP control. Takes one less "will it or won't it" out of the system :)

BiggsChevys

my gp module is now in the best location it has ever been in the rig.... in the glove box ;)

i removed the blue wire from the gp relay, ran a new wire from the terminal to a "momentary" push button toggle switch, and grounded to the terminal under the dash on the A pillar.... the relay is power comes through the resistor as originally designed, as long as the resistor still works I plan on using it.

BiggsChevys

good find man.... you might be able to repair the card and continue to use it assuming nothing else is wrong with it... being that it has failed once, keep a close eye on it should you repair it...

check your plugs for swelling, if one took any damage the remaining will be overloaded and start failing....

my module was obviously burnt.... so I tossed it aside....

combatmech

Thanks for all the help guys!! New GP controler card and removed the 12/24 resistor. Runs like a champ. Think I've got all the electrical bugs worked out.....cross your fingers!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks