• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

glow plug questions

redneck785

i have been having glow plug problems, I replaced glow plugs, and relay and am installing a manual glow plug switch. My question in how long do i need to fire glow plugs without harming or exploding them?

Mg84648

With mine I just hold the button until my wait light goes out and count 5 more mississippi's then crank it. Starts on the first crank most of the time. Not sure which portions of your card are inop so this may not apply to your situation.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Simple answer, 10-12 seconds.

Step by step troubleshooting is covered in the -20 TM.

All of the components are available new.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, what part number relay did you install.

cucvrus

I count to 500 cause that is about what it will cost if you overheat the glow plugs and just 1 glow plug bulges and breaks off inside the combustion chamber or you can't get it out of the head. I know it is the worst case scenario. But why not fix it the right way like other members have suggested. What if someone else borrows it or just try's to move it for you and over glows it. Its real it does happen. It is not worth it. And as a gentlemen I agree to disagree with anyone that says it don't and can't. Stop the cobbling of things and fix it the way it was intended. My opinion again. Oh yea you can R & R the heads yourself for about $300. in parts. And it is a fun job. Not worth the risk. Please fix it right the first time. All the parts are still available.

Westech

CPL
I had to replace every inch of my High speed M1008's glow plug control system (control car harness also) and it cost me around 250 bucks (glow plugs, control card, Wiring harness, firewall relay)
The truck starts every time and I dont have a cobbled wire.

2 cents

TexAndy

If you look around, a few people have repaired their glow plug control cards. According to them, it's only 3 components that cause 90% of the failures.

MarcusOReallyus

I count to 500 cause that is about what it will cost if you overheat the glow plugs and just 1 glow plug bulges and breaks off inside the combustion chamber or you can't get it out of the head. I know it is the worst case scenario. But why not fix it the right way like other members have suggested. What if someone else borrows it or just try's to move it for you and over glows it. Its real it does happen. It is not worth it. And as a gentlemen I agree to disagree with anyone that says it don't and can't. Stop the cobbling of things and fix it the way it was intended. My opinion again. Oh yea you can R & R the heads yourself for about $300. in parts. And it is a fun job. Not worth the risk. Please fix it right the first time. All the parts are still available.
whathesaid.gif

If you look around, a few people have repaired their glow plug control cards. According to them, it's only 3 components that cause 90% of the failures.

Even better, you can get a brand new one, with improvements over the original, from SS member antennaclimber, for 85 bucks.

blzrgb

My 1008 is also having problems. Turn the switch on and nothing happens at all. No wait light, no clicks or anything.
Replaced all glow plugs and all 8 were blown. Still nothing. Replaced glow plug card. Still nothing.
BUT, I can give the two blue wires on the relay a ground with a jumper wire and the wait light works and new glow plugs heat up. The truck will then start. Could it be a bad relay or temp sensor or Both ? My temp sensor has the single probe.
Having trouble finding replacements. If that's even my problem.

rsh4364

My 1009 is manual gp only,was that way when I got it,I glow for 15 secs. when warm out,20 when its colder out and up to 30 secs.when its 0 out.Have 60G plugs,no swellers yet.24 volt starter,everything else 12volt including gps.

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can keep throwing parts at it or you can properly diagnose it using the TM.

Westech

CPL
Or just replace the whole shootin works for 175 bucks and be done with it.
plugs, card, relay and temp sender.

Thats why I say to replace the glow plugs and relay every other year regardless.
For 75 bucks its cheap insurance to not burn up cards and have a good starting CUCV.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks