• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow plug Reamer Question

2INSANE

Today I took off all the glow plugs and matched up the element hole with a 13/64 drill bit. Very gently without touching the threads, I put the drill bit in the element holes and turned the drill bit with my hand going in a side to side motion in and out the element holes. There was quite a bit of carbon build up I removed. Next I used compressed air and blew the compressed air into the glow plugs element holes removing any loose carbon buildup. Installed a new set of G60's with zero resistance. Did a 8 second cycle on the new gp's and she fired right up with no weird noises or damage to the chambers. It was a success that has never been done before on a 6.2 diesel, to my knowledge.

Last edited:

glcaines

I just replaced a glow plug a few days ago with a new NGK glow plug. I didn't use a reamer, but NGK recommends the use of a reamer for some diesel engines. I also use high temperature anti-seize with copper to assure a good electrical connection, such as Permatex Prefix-230. This is from NGK.

Removing Carbon Deposits With A Reamer
Depending on the design, some diesel engines have a tendency towards carbon build-up. If glow plugs are replaced in this case, the glow plug bore should be cleaned with a special tool. Otherwise carbon deposits can lead to heat accumulation at the new glow plug and result in overheating.
The use of Hazet reamers - which were developed together with NGK - is strongly recommended:
1. Search for reamers suitable for glow plugs
2. Coat the reamer with some grease in the front area (blade)
3. Screw the reamer hand-tight into the cylinder head
4. Unscrew the reamer and clean thoroughly

Attachments

Last edited:

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
glcaines: I tried to find Permatex Prefix-230 on the permatex site but couldn't
find it. Do you have another name for this stuff?
Thanks a bunch!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks