• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

glow plug relay and resister bypass? manual glow plug install

a68cudas

Id like to do the mod for manually warming glow plugs. I been searching and all i have been finding are threads where memebers where having certain problems after they done the mod. Im having a problem finding the sticky or link to a "HOW TO" step by step instructions on what all is needed for this procedure and how to do it. If any one can guide me in the right way thank you
"

MarcusOReallyus

I'm not sure, but I think you may be getting two things mixed up.

1. There's the resistor bypass, which has nothing to do with making the GPs run manually.
  2. AND, there's a manual switch for running the GPs, which has nothing to do with the resistor.

You can do both together, or one by itself, or the other by itself.

The manual switch option comes in two flavors:

• Replacing the GP controller card completely.
  • Along with the GP controller card to be used if the card isn't getting the job done.

Does that help?

a68cudas

I'm not sure, but I think you may be getting two things mixed up.

1. There's the resistor bypass, which has nothing to do with making the GPs run manually.
  2. AND, there's a manual switch for running the GPs, which has nothing to do with the resistor.

You can do both together, or one by itself, or the other by itself.

The manual switch option comes in two flavors:

• Replacing the GP controller card completely.
  • Along with the GP controller card to be used if the card isn't getting the job done.

Does that help?
What does the resister bypass do? Can you explain a little more please exactly what is this done for? Is there a link or sticky for showing how to set up the manual switch to bypass the GP card ? Is there also a sticky or link for setting up manual switch along with GP controller? Which way setting up a manual GP switch is better? What are pros and cons of either option "A" or option "B" ? My GP controller is working fine right now but i would like to do the manual switch mod as a precaution. Thanks

MarcusOReallyus

There's a ton of info here about the resistor bypass. A quick search should bury you. It's a recommended modification. Not everybody does it.

As for the manual GP switch - it's pretty simple, and there are quite a few threads on that, too. If you want it as a precaution, then you want option B. I have not done it yet myself, so I suggest a search.

alburms311

The resistor bypass keeps you from frying your glow plugs due to over voltage after one fails. The link I posted above explains how to set up the switch while keeping the card. Use the search function at the top of the page, all of the answers are here, just got to find them:beer:

a68cudas

The resistor bypass keeps you from frying your glow plugs due to over voltage after one fails. The link I posted above explains how to set up the switch while keeping the card. Use the search function at the top of the page, all of the answers are here, just got to find them:beer:
Finally got to do this mod. followed the link you gave and spliced into light blue wire next to purple one on controller card harness, ran that spliced line to switch ran a ground off of switch and grounded to body under dash, works great!!! I didnt even have to drill a hole for the switch. There was an existing hole in dash with off above hole and on below hole, there was a switch installed at some point in time in this vehicle possibly for manually controlling glow plugs? This mod took about 5 - 10 min to do very simple. That link should be a sticky in the CUCV section.