• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow plug relay issue.....again

MarcusOReallyus

If that Blue wire tap is new, I suspect it may be the culprit.

Agreed! Dirty, I used to install cellphones (back when they were CAR phones) and business radio equipment for a living, and I do NOT like those type of taps. I found them to be unreliable, as did my colleagues.

This is the kind I use. MUCH more reliable.

That aside, I'm beginning to wonder if all the problems were caused by the blue wire having a bad connection between the card and the relay.

M1008driver

It looks like from your pics your push button switch is the same as mine. I would say the problem is somewhere in the gp bypass or relay s603. Here is a pic of mine.

gp resistor bypass.jpg

Last edited:

Dirty1

I updated post #9 with these pictures of what I am working with.

relay.jpgIMG_0071.jpgIMG_0073.jpgIMG_0074 (1).jpg
The picture of the installed relay is upside down. Oops!

I can not work on the truck today but hopefully on tomorrow. I will keep this updated. Thanks again for all of your help!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
update?

Dirty1

Sorry about that. It has been a busy couple of weeks at work.

I just came came inside from working on it. I installed a new wire from my switch to the relay and disconnected the light blue wire from the relay. I then reconnected my batteries. One is new and the other I charged overnight. I turned on my ignition and hit my momentary switch for the glow plugs. I heard the relay clunk and then about a second later the entire dash shut off and the ignition switch is not working.

I checked the ignition fuse and it is not blown. Both batteries have 12+ volts when I tested them with my multimeter. At the relay there is only 9.5 volts on the top post and 0 on the other three. There is also 9.5 volts at the 12 volt block right above the relay.

I have no idea where to go from here. I can do a little more investigating but I am going on vacation next week.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like the fusible link supplying the 12v stud has failed.

Dirty1

Thanks I will check it out. I don't have a garage and it is supposed to rain tomorrow, so I may not be able to check on it until next Sunday.

Thank you once again for all the help. I will do more reading on the electrical system while I am away.

MarcusOReallyus

S At the relay there is only 9.5 volts on the top post and 0 on the other three. There is also 9.5 volts at the 12 volt block right above the relay.

Dirty, test that point with a test light, not a meter. I suspect the light will not light.

Why?

If doghead is right (and he probably is), your fusible link has failed but there is a bit of residue that is partially conducting electricity along that path. Thus, you are seeing the 9.5 volts with the meter. Meters have a very high input resistance - they don't load a circuit at all. (Well, not enough to matter in automotive work.) If there is a very high resistance (like a corroded connection or a burned fusible link) between the battery and where you are measuring, the meter will measure the voltage, even sometimes full voltage, but put a load on that circuit and that high resistance will drop that voltage like a rock, and your test light will not light.

That's why it's always good to have a test light AND a meter in your tool kit.

Try the test light and let us know what you get.

Also, I suggest you test the resistance of your glow plugs. If one is shorted, you'll blow that link in a heartbeat.

Dirty1

Here is an update as of today. I got another new battery on Monday, so I now have two new batteries. I also replaced all four of the battery connectors and cleaned up what I could. I found that I was blowing fuse number 7 (30amp headlight). I am not sure why at this time, I am using the LMC headlight harness. After changing these, I found that I had normal voltage through out my glow plug system. The relay was working with my new switch and wiring. It has been starting without issue since Monday.

A big thanks for all the input during my issue! It was a huge help!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks