• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow Plug Relay not shutting off after 30+ secs.

that1028guy

Perhaps I am missing something, but I also did all of the reliability mods for the glow plug system this weekend. All new 60g's new big shinny relay and new controller card from CUCV electrical. I DID NOT do the 12v conversion. I noticed that on the batt side of the relay with the key off (relay open) ther is 24v but as soon as you key on, it drops to approx 10v on both sides of the relay. Wait light is on for maybe 10 seconds and the motor doesn't even make a full revolution before it lights off. And all this at 45 degrees stone cold. Does the glow plug controller card also control the fast idle?

kentuckycucv

Sounds like you have a properly running system. I just put in a momentary switch to the GP relay. I am afraid of frying my new AC60Gs so Im just going manual.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may as well post my PM reply here, for everyone to use.

I didn't have time to reply earlier today, when I read your post.

It is kinda counterproductive to secretly answer your question via PM(better to share info in the forum)

Of course, if nobody searches, we may as well just use chat...2cents

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The glow plug controller card controls the GPs. (not the fast idle)

Cold start timing advance and high idle are both controlled by a temp sensor.

As long as none of your GPs doen't fail(and they will), the stock 24v supplied system works great. The trouble with it is, when one fails, the voltage will not drop to the safe 10-12v and the rest of your GPs will burn out in rapid succession.

I prefer to resupply the GP relay with 12v. It will eliminate the "domino effect" of GP failure.

that1028guy

I understand the "domino effect" but in reality what is the failure rate of the 60g's? I plan to replace them every 2 years, the truck doesnt get driven all that much either... Just wondering, I may switch it back to the 12v as its just one wire.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would bet a fair wager, they wont last 2 years.

I replace one every 3-6 months, it seems.

A lot of variables effect the GP life. Like warming up the engine before driving, injector spray pattern, timing, driving hard while in "after glow" and controller sensors.

You will have a GP failure, it is inevitable. It your choice if you want to replace one or all when it happens. Also consider, one simple bad connection, and you could loose all your GPs with the stock 24v supply.

Reliability and cost factors should be considered.

tbearatkin

I understand the "domino effect" but in reality what is the failure rate of the 60g's? I plan to replace them every 2 years, the truck doesnt get driven all that much either... Just wondering, I may switch it back to the 12v as its just one wire.

Failure rate will be when its 15 degrees outside you will be anywhere but home it will be dark and raining and now you will be under the hood trying to figure out why it does not start. Your significant other will be in the truck with you and will be cold and tired. Then $60+ at one pop to replace the GPs.

Less that $15 in parts ( 1 wire really) and you can convert it to 12v GP system. You can leave the resister(minus the wires attached) in place to use at a later date if you like. Now you only have to check your GPs at PM time and replace any that might be bad. Rather spend $8-$16 at a time for GP replacement. I am more apt to have a $20 bill in my wallet than 3$20 bills.

Current 24 volt plan will cause a quick cascade effect it continues to increase volts to the next plug in line so the more that burn out the quicker the next one goes.

Grega

I purchased the glow plug system troubleshooting manual from CUCV Electric. I would recemend every one have this as it goes in detail on troubleshooting the system. Its helped me alot.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All the troubleshooting GP info is in the -20 TM as well. Yup, free and accessible in less than 5 minutes.

CUCV Electrics little book is real nice to keep in your glove-box for on the road help!

kentuckycucv

Just want to report the manual glow plug switch is working i hold it 10 -15 seconds depending on the temp. My truck starts right up. Also I hold it down longer depending on the amount of Soy bean oil mixed in with my diesel. My gps were energizing for 25-40 seconds with one cycle. I think it was the temp sensor, (maybe the card) doesnt matter now bc of the manual bypass.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks