• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow Plug Relay Only Thing Missing?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It always helps when the person asking questions is open to taking advice rather than arguing over it.

Bownut

Like I said earlier, I've always had a soft spot for the Blazers, love the 73 to 87 vintage Chevs, and have had many over the years that were either babied and beat. This just is another to add to the collection. I'll admit though, this is my first ever truck without spark plugs, so I was definitely out of my comfort zone. But this M1009 has come to a good home and I plan to get many more good years of service out of it......probably a lot more use out of it than the gov't got from it over the last 28 years. Look for post from here on out to primarily be over on the modifications thread!

Bownut

It always helps when the person asking questions is open to taking advice rather than arguing over it.
Definitely agree. I've never afraid to say, "I am stumped, please help!". Which I think I did on here with this, and you all chipped in and schooled me properly. Can't say thanks enough.

Bownut

So quick question in regards to this same issue.

Haven't driven the truck much other than in and out of the garage as I've been working on it (lift kit install, plow install, etc). I was also waiting on the paperwork so I can title it.

Anyway, noticed the wait light was coming on periodically. Truck still started, but now this weekend, nothing. I am thinking the glow plug card has an issue so decided to do the push button glow plug bypass. Prior to install, I just ran a ground wire to the blue terminal wire on the solenoid as described. I heard the click, so assumed good. Left it on for 5 to 10 seconds, unhooked the wire, then jumped in and she just turned over, no fire. Turned it off. Put the wire back on for 5 to 10 seconds more before I turned it over, with the wire still connected. She fired right off and started to race up in speed so I turned it off imediately. I wasn't going to try again until I got some feedback.

Do I possibly have a bad solenoid again? Why would it not fire with the bypass wire unhooked, but with it on? Or am I missing something in how the bypass works? I thought it was just to ground the solenoid while you manually heat the glowplugs, but you are supposed to release prior to fire, correct?

Any insight would be appreciated.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks