• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

glow plug relay problem

jsd563

I just changed my GP relay with a *ord starter relay , after I hooked it up the first time I turned the key on it worked properly wait light came on then went out started fine. then after about 15 min the wait light came on and stayed on and the relay has power on all 4 term. the blue one being dimmer.... with the blue and the pink disconected i have power on the red wire and the pink .... tried the manual hook up and no good what gives

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A "Ford" relay is not the correct relay. You probably have ruined all of your Glow plugs and possibly your glow plug controller.

Get the -20 TM and troubleshoot everything.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ford relays are not correct for the CUCV. If the coil uses the mounting frame as a ground it will be turned ON all the time.

You must have a relay that DOES NOT use the mounting frame as a ground.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tell me who's truck you have seen with a stock system working with a Ford starter relay.

jsd563

a member named Dstang....... just called my parts guy and your right its not an isolated ground relay ..... he will have the right one in the morning ..... I gotta say you guys are the best ... Thank you

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Order new glow plugs too!

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, what part number/brand did he order?

We have posted many many times, the correct commonly available relays. It's also in the cucv sticky/wiki.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is this where you read and decided what relay to use?

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/78979-glow-plug-relay-question.html

Everything we just posted here, was in that thread.

Note, you said starter relay, he said glow plug relay. What part number was the (wrong)relay you installed?

When you get your new relay, I would test it before installation, to be 100 % sure it is correct. Parts counter guys are wrong often, and also put parts in the wrong boxes occasionally.

Last edited:

jsd563

Yes thats the thread...... new glow plugs? ya think they are bad that fast? it did it and i didnt drive the truck I shut it off and ran to you guys

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One way to know for sure, test them with an ohm meter. 1-3 ohms each.

jsd563

Do I have to pull them out to test? if so I might as well change em.... I read horror stories about getting them out ..... doghead you seem to know all about these trucks so what GPs do you recomend, some say welman some AC ..... and do you know any tricks to ease the pain on getting them out

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All relays that look alike, are not alike.

I would at least call your parts guy and ask what part number he is ordering for you. Personally, I would tell my parts guy what part number I need when I order(why have him guess). All the correct info has been covered in that thread.

You did not see dstang's truck using a ford starter relay. You misread his post.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To test them, simply disconnect the wire and use an ohm meter. place one probe on the gp terminal, and the other on the hex(base) of the gp.

I have been very happy with ACDelco AC60G glow plugs. You need to replace the original wire connector with a new 1/4" wide insulated female blade terminal. Or, you can grind/file one side of the terminal. I recommend new ends. The old ones are old/dirty/corroded, and impossible to clean well.

I also suggest you resupply your GP relay with 12 volts. Very simple to do.

jsd563

looks pretty simple ..... when I cut the red , use the side comming from the bottom or behind the black cover..... I seen one thread that a guy put a big fuse on the batt and ran a new cable from the 12v batt..... where do I get a GP removal tool or is it just a deep socket? new GPs for $13 each AC60 ... is that good?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, just add a new ring terminal on the end of the red wire(away from the relay) and connect it on the 1/4 stud above and to the left of the relay.

No need for heavy battery cables and fuses unless that's what you want to do).

Thats an average price. Hopefully you will not need anything besides a 10mm deep socket and ratchet.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks