• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow plug replacement

sully429

I am going to change my glow plugs for newer ones. Its getting hard to start on cold mornings
I looked in the -20 and -34 and may be I missed it but I could not find anything on changing them, If I overlooked it can you post the page number for me.
I have never changed glow plugs, there is a special tool that they demonstrate on youtube, do you need this tool or can you use a socket.
any ideas on making the change easier or at least smoother
thanks in advance

salt6

I am going to change my glow plugs for newer ones. Its getting hard to start on cold mornings
I looked in the -20 and -34 and may be I missed it but I could not find anything on changing them, If I overlooked it can you post the page number for me.
I have never changed glow plugs, there is a special tool that they demonstrate on youtube, do you need this tool or can you use a socket.
any ideas on making the change easier or at least smoother
thanks in advance
You only need the tool if the glow plugs have swelled to te point that they can't be removed.

GPrez

They come out just like a spark plug unless they are swollen as Salt stated. Unplug the wire connected to them and just un screw them. That's all there is to it.

If once you un screw them and they will not pull out of the hole do not force it or bend from side to side. You will need the jandj racing tool to get it out. If you break the tip off in the head you have bigger problems.

rod

When I changed the glowplugs in on M1009 last year, I borrowed the tool from a friend in case I needed it. As it turned out, I didn't need the tool since my glow plugs unscrewed and slid right out. I added a bit if antisieze to the new plugs before I put them in. I also solidered on new clips and covered with heat shrink tubing.

ajsmith184

I replaced mine a few weeks ago and was wondering wtf the big deal was..No problems, took 15 minutes.....

Guess I got lucky..Time for something big to go boom or some major electrical problem to surface :shock::neutral:

Just did mine. 2 broke. Had to pull the injectors above them and push the broken tips back in. Then used a long forceps to get them out. A plus of a lifetime myself and my wife being in the medical field is odd tools and free latex gloves. My nicest sharpening stone is an old scalpel honing soap stone in xxx fine and xxxx fine.

n1vbn

I switched my M-1009 to AC 60g series glow plugs shortly after I bought it. Had original 13 series glow plugs and it was a bear to start in the winter with only three working. Put new 60g plugs in and added a manual push button switch to power them up. The 60G series plugs will stand a lot of abuse and keep coming back for more. Also updated my glow plug relay from the original square (GM design) to the Ford heavy duty design to prevent another problem.
The AC 60G series glow plugs will take a lot of time powered up without burning out. I power mine thru the glow plug resister bank to share the load between the batteries.

Still goes chuga chuga on a cold winter morning start but a little bit of throttle with the foot to keep it going till it's running on all cylinders does the trick.

Coldest start to date was in Berlin,NH two years ago at 42 below zero.....when I hit the starter was when I discovered the outdoor electrical outlet was turned off when we shut off the living room light. Made enough blue smoke to get the local celler fillers out and up to the cabin. Idiot across the pond spotted the smoke and being from Boston couldn't tell a fire from a cold engine. Took 5 minutes to stop smoking and run smooth.

Ahh the fun of a good used Mil vehicle!!

James Shanks

erniemigi

When I had to change out my glow plugs, 3 out of the 8 were swollen, didn't have the specialty tool to get them out so what i did was pulled the injector, put a piece of paper towel into the injector hole, broke off the tip and pushed the swollen part back into it and the towel kept it from falling down into the cylinder, then just used a long nose needle nose plier to get it out, it is some work to do all this but it was better than having to dismantle the engine to get a piece of glow plug out

tbearatkin

I have had swollen GP I took the advice of a civilian mechanic at the local military servicing center. He said find a set of vice grips that will clamp on the plug and then leverage it straight out as possible. It worked with no issues but sure it depends on how swollen it is.

This last time I had the last one on the passenger side near the firewall I decided to try what some on here suggested. I had it complete loose and just turned the engine over a little bit until the pressure popped it out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks