• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow plug resistance

appalacious

Ok, so in my quest to start this beast in my garage, I've pulled the glow plugs to make sure they weren't broken and rattling around in the cylinders.

I tried to check the resistance with an ohm-meter, but I never could get it lower than kilo-ohms. (shorting the probes gave 0 ohms, so the meter seemed to work fine)

Where exactly should I be measuring the resistance? (refer to picture)

b/w 1 and 2?
1 and 3?

Thanks,
J

Attachments

Verkstad

Right, Measure from points 1 & 2.
They should read but a couple ohms.

Also, while it's on the bench you can briefly connect it to power to see if indeed its heating up.
Dont leave it switched on too long, They are intended to be screwed into the motor what would absorb some of the heat it produces. Heating it outside the motor could let it get too hot then burn out.

Jakob

appalacious

Thanks guys.

If I confirm that these are bad, which plugs should I get to replace them?
I've converted to 12V.

J

ps, 4 measured infinite resistance (basically) and 4 measured close to 0. I'll have to get a more precise multimeter to find out how close to 0 it is. I just have an old analog meter right now.

Last edited:

Nonotagain

Thee reading from 1 to 2 should be 5 ohms +/_ about .5 ohms.

From 1 to 3 and from 2 to 3 the circuit should be open.

Check the resistance of all of your plugs for a sanity check if you think you are performing the testing in-correctly.

edited to add open circuit 1 to 3 and 2 to 3.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks