• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow plug sequence question

pigpen60

My question is what is the glow plug sequence? I don't crank the engine till the wait light goes out. But when the engine doesn't start I turn the key off and repeat. is this correct?

dmetalmiki

Yes. My V.W. Polo will only start and run good after two heats In this cold weather. Sometimes it is good to Heat, crank breifly, Heat again, Away it goes. Same applies to a lot of deisels in the coldest weather. However, Repeated heats if required point to a time to change the glow plugs.

Skinny

I don't think you actually have to crank the first time out.

If it is super cold out (sorry for a non-scientific term here), you probably can turn the key on, wait a bit, turn it off, then turn back on again for a second cycle...then crank. Don't let the wait light fool you, when it goes out, the GP's are still on. Use the volt meter as an indicator of GP operation. When they are on, the voltmeter will be way down to the left. When the GP's turn off, you will hear a thud and the voltmeter will immediately jump up.

pigpen60

I hear the glow plug relay kicking on and off, I just wondered how many on/off cycles and how long. if its cycling after the wait light goes out do you even need to turn key off/on? I just changed out my m1008's glow plugs and found the fire dept? had changed some/all, none of the old glow plugs were swelled and one was still the 3/16" spade and one wasn't plugged in.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the key is on, it should continue to cycle.

chesapeake

In the past 2 weeks I have replaced my GP relay, GPs and batteries. If it is cold outside I have to wait for the clunk of the relay before mine will start. If I try as soon as the wait light goes off it will turnover but not fire off

pigpen60

Chesapeake, mine does/did the same thing. I changed all 8 glow plugs and the connectors so Thursday morning its supposed to be 8 degrees so ill see what if it starts. Last time it was single digits it wouldn't fire off.

pigpen60

Ok had to wait till Friday for the 8 degree temp. Its alive! I cycled the plugs twice and she fired right up. Im tickled ****less, didn't have faith but I do now!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks