• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

glow plug solenoid

donalloy1

They are an on/off switch, but they can be accidentally left in the "ON" position, which is going to fry some glow plugs.

Here's how:

There is an electromagnet in there that operates the switch. (Sometimes people will refer to that as a "coil", which is partly accurate.) To turn the switch ON, the electromagnet needs electrical current. That means it needs a + and a - (ground), and we need a way to control that. We need that current flowing on command, not just whenever, and not all the time. So we need to switch that current across the electromagnet (the coil). We can switch the + OR the ground. Either way works just fine.

In the case of our trucks, the controller card supplies the ground. The + is connected permanently. So, we're switching the ground.

That means we can't have that electromagnet grounded to the case. If it is, the switch is ON all the time. Smokin' glow plugs!

That's why it matters what solenoid you get. If you get one that has the coil grounded to the case, you will turn your glow plugs on as soon as you connect it.

So, there are a lot of solenoids that do NOT have a grounded case, but many DO. That's why you can't just go out and grab any solenoid that seems to fit. You MUST have one that does NOT ground the coil to the case.

So grab one from your local parts house and get lucky, or unlucky, OR, understand how it works and get the right one.

:beer:
MarcusOReallyus, so nice of you to take time out for us and share this information! I really appreciate it. Semper Fi!

donalloy1

This is what I have found.

The 198210 relay is an Oshkosh part number. I can find no information on it.

The 24008-BX Cole-Hersee unit is a 24v version of the relay. It is the wrong one.

You need a 12v relay. There are many to choose from but a good one is the NAPA ST-85. Or the BWD S603 from just about any parts house

The CUCV glowplug system uses 12v to engergize the internal coil.
Warthog, recently replaced my GPR with reccomended Napa ST-85 and Glow Plug Controller Card. Getting FAR more Relay chatter during end of second cycle. Just wondering if this is normal? Lasts a couple seconds +/- depending on how cold it is. Thanks, DMLII sends