• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

glow plug system problem

2deuce

This is a new one for me on glow plugs. I have had them not work, because of the card being burned, solenoid burned out, glow plugs burned, but I have not had them work and then quit and then work again in the same glow plug cycle. When they are off more than they are on the wait light stays on very long and I can here the glow plug solenoid go on and off. My first thought is the solenoid is bad, but maybe it is the signal to the solenoid that is low or inconsistent. The solenoid that is on there looks like a ford application starter solenoid. I'm going to check the voltage on the pink and black wire with the key on and if it's good then replace the solenoid unless any of you guys have another idea.

Thanks

cpf240

Is your truck still in stock, 24v trim, or has anything been converted? I'm asking partly because of your description of the glow plug solenoid. If the system is stock as far as the glow plug system is concerned, then the glow plug solenoid *must* have its mounting tabs isolated from the small terminals on the solenoid. This is because the glow plug controller activates the solenoid by providing the ground signal. If the glow plug solenoid's small terminals are not isolated from the mounting tabs, this could lead to the solenoid being activated all the time, which leads to burned glow plugs, and some have reported damage to GEN 1.

The glow plug solenoid can have carbon build up on the contacts, and that might lead to inconsistent, or no, operation of the glow plugs.

I'd suggest following the glow plug system diagnostic procedure in the -20 TM. That should help narrow down where the problem is.

2deuce

The truck is 24v but a few of the parts in the system have been replaced by substitutes, but the system itself has not been modified. The solenoid is not activated all the time, it actually is not activated when it should be for much of the time that the wait light is on.

MarcusOReallyus

That solenoid looks a lot like the Ford unit, and that's been discussed here before, but I can't remember whether it was yay or nay on using the Ford unit. No need to worry about it though - the correct NAPA number is in the stickies at the top of the forum. It's only about 20 bucks.

But first, like the man said, diagnose.

I'd suggest following the glow plug system diagnostic procedure in the -20 TM.