• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

glow plug system question

skafunk

I've got a problem with my glow plug system but i am unsure what it is-
here are the symptoms:
turn key, wait light comes on... stays on longer than usual and then i hear a click from the relay and eventually it goes off. i then attempt to start but engine will not turn... clearly the plugs haven't warmed.
after a few rounds of this, eventually i turn over fine and start (with some smoke) (cold temp- around 35 degrees)
some days however things will work normal on 1st try- wait light will go out, i'll start and she'll turn over without smoke.
does this sound like it's the relay, the glow plug controller card or the temp sensor?
(or maybe the plugs themselves?)

mf5129

the plugs seem to be the weakest link for me.there are several ways to solve the cold start problems.i remove and check all mine at least yearly.add a heavy duty relay and a manual override doesnt hurt.i have never had to use mine.i had 2 plugs out and when weather was average it started reasonably well.when i replaced the plugs it starts even faster.use never seize compound on the replacments.doesnt hurt to have some spares.

skafunk

thanks... what would you guys recommend for a replacement glow plug relay? stock from flmv, or something off a newer application?

skafunk

oh i know- it lists which relay to use for the starter mod- but what relay should i get to replace my under hood glow plug relay?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks