• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow plug wait light comes on

joho

My glow plug WAIT light comes on when I am driving. It comes on and off, sometimes bright, sometimes dull. What can cause this?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would start with pulling the controller card out, and cleaning the contacts with a pencil eraser. See if that helps.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use the troubleshooting section of TM 9-2320-289-20 to check the glowplug system. Page 2-62. Pargraph 15.

Last edited:

bevanet

On my blazer, the mechanic installed some kind of a thermostat so that my glow plugs don't come on at all above a certain temp. It used to annoy me that they came on when the engine was started even when it was warmed up. It seems like the glow plugs last longer now too. The blazer glow plugs used to come on after the engine was running too. Are yours coming on when it is warmed up, or first started?

joho

Sorry about the double post

I am sorry that I double posted the same question, that was not my intention. I hope that it didn't bother too many people. Anyway, if the wait light comes on, does that mean the glow plugs are heating up? The engine is at operating temp driving down the road, when the wait light comes on. I will pull the card out of the control and see if that helps. It has been raining for about a month straight, maybe it got some moisture in it

1stSarge

The most likely culprit in this scenario is a lost connection to the temperature sensor. Either the temperature sensor is bad, or the connections to it are bad. Like Dog said, check the contacts on the card housing, with special attention to the yellow wire. Then check that same wire at the temp sensor. Make sure it is tight and clean. Make sure it has continuity.

There are other possible culprits, but this is what I would look at first.

mistaken1

According to antennaclimber's glow plug theory of operation the problem could be an intermittent short in the wire from the light to the glow plug controller. Or as others have mentioned the control card could have issues.

WAIT Light control
The GPM provides a ground to the Wait light for a period of time determined by the internal
components of the GPM.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/62477-gp-module-theory-operation.html

Iceman3005

joho: I'm having a similar problem along with gen 2 light flickering, got too be a short under dash because my volts don't drop, so if your volts aren't dropping when light flickers then should be a short, not glow plugs energizing.