• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

glow plugs and block warmers

dmilkman589

ok i think my m1009 is wired wrong, the glow plug relay is wired directly too the top of the battery, not too the strip witch is carrying 24 volts, is that wrong, or is that the way it is suppose too be?

also how do i install a block heater?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Which battery is it connected to? They may have changed the GP system to 12v.

Pictures would help

Last edited:

AceHigh

Two kinds of block heaters. One is a little coil that goes in place of a freeze plug, the other goes in a heater type hose and pumps hot water into the block, usually by convection.

dmilkman589

ok, i can put in some photos, it is on the negative side of the second battery, and positive side of first. it was bought form the state. and they got it from the military im assuming. i just put in the old style relay cuse the newer one that was in there went bad. so if it is converted too the 12 volt system can i just hook it too the 24 volt strip, and just warm the plugs half the time, or would that still burn them out?

AceHigh

I fotgot the oil heater on the bottom of the oil pan. Installation is easy for any of them. Drain all the coolant, and knock the frost plug you want the heater in out with a hammer and a small drift or chisel. Make sure you are not in the path of the coolant that will be spilling out of the block! Once it finishes draining, take a bit of sand paper and clean any mineral buildup or corrosion away from the flat face of the frost plug hole, then simply pop the block heater in after lubricating the o-ring seal with some engine oil. Most have a small screw on the front that you tighten up to mechanically retain the heater in the block.

The oil pan heater has two metal straps that run up to the oil pan bolts, then have tensioners on the side to suck the pan heater tight against the oil pan.

Here is a write up someone posted about a tank heater:

It is not impossible nor hard to install a tank heater on a 6.2. I just installed one on my m1028 in a couple of hours in -2 degree weather. And it works BEAUTIFULLY. You tap into the radiator drain plug instead of the block. I mounted my tank in the passenger in the passenger side like it says to, and still tapped the outlet line into the cabin heater hose. But instead of tapping into the block, I ran a hose across the engine mount (secured it to that to) and hooked it up where the drain plug is on the driver side. I used a zerostart and it comes with all the fittings you need, all you need is some wrenches a knife a drill and hose. And the warranty is not voided because in the directions it TELLS YOU to hook into the radiator drain **** if the block plug cannot be reached. I don't know why everyone is knocking these tank heaters. I had a freeze plug heater in my blazer (350ci) and it took all night to heat up and never really heated it up that great. This tank heater heated the 6.2 up in 2 hours in negative temps to operating temperature.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
what is the freeze plug, where is it, and where do i get the heater? thanks. i love this forum, you all are so helpfull
From Wikipedia.

Core plug - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Core plugs, sometimes wrongly called freeze plugs or frost plugs, are plugs that fill the core holes found on water cooled internal combustion engines.
The sand casting cores are used to form the internal cavities in the engine block or cylinder head(s), usually forming the coolant passages. The traditional plug is a thin, domed, disc of ferrous metal which is pressed into a machined hole in the casting. Alternatively a non-ferrous metal such as brass offers improved corrosion prevention. In some high-performance engines the core plugs are large diameter pipe plugs.[1]
Core plugs can often be a source of troublesome leaks as a result of internal cooling system corrosion. Ease of replacement depends on accessibility. In many cases the plug area will be difficult to reach and using a mallet to perform maintenance or replacement will be nearly impossible without special facilities. Expanding rubber plugs are available as replacements when access is a problem.
Freeze plug

A true freeze plug is an expansion plug located in the side of an engine block that is supposed to protect the block against freeze damage. Water expands when it turns to ice, and if the coolant does not have enough antifreeze protection it can freeze and crack the engine block. The freeze plugs (there are usually several) are supposed to pop out under such conditions to relieve the pressure on the block.
A variety of block heater called a "freeze plug heater" can be installed, replacing the freeze plugs, to warm the engine before start up.

ChiefMinion

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only 12 volts to the glow plugs...

<...> so if it is converted too the 12 volt system can i just hook it too the 24 volt strip, and just warm the plugs half the time, or would that still burn them out?
No. If you want to use the 24 volts, you need the stock resistor pack or equivalent. If you are not using the stock resistor, leave the glow plug power source at 12 volts. I'm pretty certain that powering 12 volt glow plugs with 24 volts will toast them in short order.

As for the relay, Doghead pointed out in another thread that it needs to have an isolated ground.

To be sure it is, use an ohm meter and check for continuty between either of the 2 small studs, to the mount. There should be none.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please don't start changing wires around until you FULLY understand what you are doing.

No need to burn something up or burn the truck to the ground.

Please give us some background on your age, skill sets, electrical knowledge, etc. I have read some of your older posts and there is no mention of the these items. Just that English wasn't your strongest subject.....:D

dmilkman589

im 19, going to hvcc and just bought this as a project truck. and all this sounds great. and a resistor pack? im guessing my truck does not have one... am i better off just leaving the setup i have? i only wanted too change it back too the 24 volt because i thought it was killing my one battery because the glow plug relay is only hooked to one battery, but that doesn't make much since. ill have too send pictures too help show what i have going on.

tbearatkin

Your resister behind your air cleaner has been bypassed it may still be there or removed all together. All that resister does is take the 24 volts from your batteries and REDUCES it to 12volts for your Glow Plugs AND when one GP burns out it now increase power to the other plugs and as they burn out it continues to increase more power and burn out more plugs.

Here is a good picture of a stock resister.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/56682-what-why-did-smoke.html

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks