• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glowplug controller question

tigertank

if in doubt I just take it off and figure it out.... worked so far these really aren't that complicated but the starting systems do tend to be abit more difficult lol as thet progress up the development chart

houstonrealtor

RWH :wink: - I was frustrated because I couldn't get this truck figured out and after many hours of searching and reading past post on the issue all I seem to come up with was a bunch of **** that didn't make any sense to me or the others ops asking about the pcb (posted by you most of the time). I appreciate your input even if I don't know what the **** your talking about so don't get your panties in a wad and please feel free to post on whatever you feel like sir. Anyways I believe it was you that said: "post away...this is not kindergarten, I thought we were all men. "

MILITARY HUMVEE

Helo,

I am new to Steel Soldiers. About three months ago I purchased a 1985 American General M998. The controller went bad about a week ago. It is a KDS CR-2688. I saw a controller on a website called a smart system kit S-3. Are the KDS obsolete? Is the smart system S-3 the best option. Thank you!

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Helo,

I am new to Steel Soldiers. About three months ago I purchased a 1985 American General M998. The controller went bad about a week ago. It is a KDS CR-2688. I saw a controller on a website called a smart system kit S-3. Are the KDS obsolete? Is the smart system S-3 the best option. Thank you!
Yes the smart start system is the best option per others and my own experience so far.. Yes $600 for the box and TSU is spendy, but feel free to keep trying with the older ones. I bought a couple take outs older units just in case, who knows if they are good or not.

NormB

Yes the smart start system is the best option per others and my own experience so far.. Yes $600 for the box and TSU is spendy, but feel free to keep trying with the older ones. I bought a couple take outs older units just in case, who knows if they are good or not.
Ouch. Bought mine from Hummerpartsguy just before new years for $490 delivered, box AND temp. sensor.

Wish I'd done that months ago. Truck DID need new glowplugs though, so that's out of the way too.

Engine fires on about half a turn now, 20 degrees outside even. Smooth running. Keeping the old one for a spare.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ouch. Bought mine from Hummerpartsguy just before new years for $490 delivered, box AND temp. sensor.

Wish I'd done that months ago. Truck DID need new glowplugs though, so that's out of the way too.

Engine fires on about half a turn now, 20 degrees outside even. Smooth running. Keeping the old one for a spare.
Well that's much better than mine. I must have cold advance problem. All my plugs check out about 3 ohms, still takes me a couple cycles to get it started when colder.

MILITARY HUMVEE

glow plug testing?

Thanks for the responses. I read that the glow plugs should be checked because that may be the cause of the failure or the failure may ruin the glow plugs and if damage and not replaced, it may damage the new controller. Are they tested by amperage?

Well that's much better than mine. I must have cold advance problem. All my plugs check out about 3 ohms, still takes me a couple cycles to get it started when colder.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks