• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glowplug resistor block

aph1979

I bought my M1009 in February from a dealer that in turn had picked it up from the Ohio National Guard. I noticed that the glowplug resistor block has been cut out of the system. The truck has not been converted to 12V. I haven't blown any plugs after 6 months of daily driving, so I doubt I have 24V running across 12V stock plugs. I thought maybe they had subsituted HMMWV 24V plugs instead. Has anyone heard of this being done?

ida34

The resistor drops the voltage to 12 volts for the glow plug system. Many have done this to avoid problems when one glow plug fails. The resistor drops voltage based on the draw it sees. When the draw goes down the voltage goes up. This in turn raises the voltage to the remaining plugs burning them out also and the cycle continues until all plugs are gone. Removing the resistor would have forced them to draw 12 volts from somewhere else. The only real problem if they did it correctly is your glow plug system will not work when starting it with a slave cable.

stump

Look to see if they changed the wireing to the relay to 12 volts. I had a problem with one truck and changed it to manual switch and ran new cable with 12 volts to the relay. The relay stoped working , changed the wireing back to the resistor block and now it works again. I still use a manual switch.

Jonas

Its probably just a new cable from the one of the batterys positive to your positive side of the glowplug relay. I have done so in my truck, leaving the starter @ 24V only.well I also have 24V bulbs in for some extra light :) and no problems with the resistor pack. I also have a manual glow switch hooked up, spliced into the blue cable that goes into the glowplug controller card, so my "Glowplugs" light comes on when glowing with the button :p