• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glowplug system questions

Lothar

I have been replacing wiring and cleaning up a newly acquired M1008. The glowplug system was not operating correctly when I bought the truck. I can tell it was once a well loved truck before a more recent, less talented owner took over and began "fixing" problems. I recently completed replacing all the wiring I found to be spliced up, melted, or otherwise unserviceable. Also replaced the GP relay, glowplugs and temp sensor.
I verified the resistors are working and correct voltage is reaching the new glowplugs when key is turned on. Turning key on, the wait light turns on but only 1 or 2 seconds. The truck fires up and idles but the wait light then will begin turning on and off with a noticeable draw (observed by battery charging meter and audible cycling of GP relay) on the system when the light is off.
This does not quit cycling once truck is warmed up.

I assumed this is a faulty GP card and ordered a new card from hillbilly wizard. My question or questions are, am I on track and is there another possibility that I am not even considering (like improperly wired card)? I appreciate any advice here. This truck is to be the first step in building my new, home based small business and it is taking longer than I anticipated to bring it up to a reliable condition.
Probably unnecessary but I know pics are everything so I will just dump a few before and after here.
IMG_20231203_085726_167.jpgIMG_20231203_085852_151.jpg20231203_090357.jpg20231203_090415.jpg1701616362870.jpgIMG_20231203_085918_822.jpg20231105_121553.jpg20231203_084520.jpg

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Truck looks great! I have question as to which temp sensor you replaced? If I remember right the one the triggers the glow plugs is on the rear of the drivers head. They came out with a new style one with a 2 prong gm plug and sensor. The original one is a single wire. Did you install the new card yet? I see you have the glow plug resistor hooked up still does it drop the voltage to the relay to 12 volts still? Some of those burn up and let more volts through.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Lothar

Thanks for responding. I am waiting for the card to be delivered. The sensor was replaced with the original 1 wire Borg Warner sensor.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok was it on the drivers back head? It could be the card though!

Lothar

Ok was it on the drivers back head? It could be the card though!

Yes sir, that's the one. I am just a bit reluctant to simply plug a new card in. Hope it would solve everything but with the way things have been going lately, it seems like if I do that the new card will be damaged and I will still be lost.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hear that completely!! I've got several spare ones that work but very old. I'd be upset if a new one got damaged! I'd check the resistor output and make sure it's at the 12 volts. I think the small wire that hooks up with the glow plug output goes to the card so over volts would be bad. I'd have to look at the wiring diagram to be sure 100% though.

Lothar

I hear that completely!! I've got several spare ones that work but very old. I'd be upset if a new one got damaged! I'd check the resistor output and make sure it's at the 12 volts. I think the small wire that hooks up with the glow plug output goes to the card so over volts would be bad. I'd have to look at the wiring diagram to be sure 100% though.

The resistor is functioning properly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks