• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glowplugs arn't working they way they should....pls. help..

Bart

Dear SS Friends,

Got a problem with the glowplugs on my Humvee.
I changed the "blackbox" underneath the dashboard
I changed the Glowplug controller
I changed ALL 8 glowplugs
I think the reason why the glowplugs aren't working is because there is a problem with the wiring.:evil:
when you switch from run to start there is a "Clicking noise" in the controlbox and in the glowplug controller.:idea:
this means that they are working but it stops there, no signal at the glowplugs.:cry::cry:

Please advise / if possible send a Wiring Diagram to: barthummer@gmail.com so I can see if all is hooked up well.
U R appreciated.
thx
bart

jwaller

search on G503.com and you problems Will be solved. there is much more hmmwv info over there.

does the black box and controller match? they have to match unless you have a very late model box.

Bart

search on G503.com and you problems Will be solved. there is much more hmmwv info over there.

does the black box and controller match? they have to match unless you have a very late model box.
thanks mr. Waller for the update.:wink:
I never knew about this" does the black box and controller match"
how can you tell about the model of the box..???
there 's only a green sticker with KDS or something on in.
wil visit G503 right now.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like your PCB is fried.

Here is some info on "matching" the PCB to the GPC.

The spares procurement for EESS has led to another change which I will commonly refer to as the One Piece Design. Because of the different configurations, we have established a generic NSN for EESS procurement purposes. The NSN is 6110-01-491-2158.

There will be three NSNs related to this generic NSN. They are as follows:

A. 6110-01-463-9260 - 2 piece design manufactured by KDS. This configuration contains a black control box with yellow label and a temperature sensor with a yellow band. The temp sensor gets installed in the water crossover pipe.

B. 6110-01-491-2142 - 1 piece design manufactured by KDS. This configuration contains a black control box with a bright green label. There is no longer a separate temperature sensor required with this configuration. It will not make a difference whether the glow plug controller (2920-01-175-7214) or the temp sensor (2920-01-469-6903) is installed in the water cross over pipe. The pin to this lead is dead.

C. 6110-01-491-2152 - 1 piece design manufactured by Signal and Systems, Inc. (SSI). This configuration contains a black control box and there is no separate controller or temp sensor. It will not make a difference whether the glow plug controller (2920-01-175-7214) or the temp sensor (2920-01-469-6903) is installed in the water cross over pipe. The pin to this lead is dead.

* Any of the above NSNs can be ordered, you will get which ever is in stock.
* There are NO Safety Issues related to these boxes/NSNs.
* You should no longer get a blinking/flashing wait to start light when using the one piece design. The box should no longer go into default mode.
* You no longer will need to troubleshoot the temp sensor/controller if you have the one piece design installed. However, be sure to keep the temp sensor/controller installed and connected.
* Still need to make sure glow plugs are in good working condition - no need to automatically replace them, just check them.
* Ensure that your connections to the body and engine side a good and tight.
* The voltmeter will still fluctuate during after-glow activity.

Bottom line - the one-piece design is the same as two piece design except for the temperature sensor.

If you suspect a problem with the starting system (control box):

1. Check batteries
2. Check all 8 glow plugs
3. If Wait to Start Light does not come on, but you had voltage gauge activity - attempt to start vehicle. If no start, check fuel system.

4. If Wait To Start Light comes on and you have voltage gauge activity, and still get a no start - your control box should be functioning, problem may be fuel related - check fuel system.

5. If no Wait to Start Light, no glow plug activity and no vehicle start; and all 8 glow plugs are good, wait to start light is good and connections at the body and engine side are good and tight, batteries are good - replace control box.

Bart

Sounds like your PCB is fried.

Here is some info on "matching" the PCB to the GPC.

The spares procurement for EESS has led to another change which I will commonly refer to as the One Piece Design. Because of the different configurations, we have established a generic NSN for EESS procurement purposes. The NSN is 6110-01-491-2158.

There will be three NSNs related to this generic NSN. They are as follows:

A. 6110-01-463-9260 - 2 piece design manufactured by KDS. This configuration contains a black control box with yellow label and a temperature sensor with a yellow band. The temp sensor gets installed in the water crossover pipe.

B. 6110-01-491-2142 - 1 piece design manufactured by KDS. This configuration contains a black control box with a bright green label. There is no longer a separate temperature sensor required with this configuration. It will not make a difference whether the glow plug controller (2920-01-175-7214) or the temp sensor (2920-01-469-6903) is installed in the water cross over pipe. The pin to this lead is dead.

C. 6110-01-491-2152 - 1 piece design manufactured by Signal and Systems, Inc. (SSI). This configuration contains a black control box and there is no separate controller or temp sensor. It will not make a difference whether the glow plug controller (2920-01-175-7214) or the temp sensor (2920-01-469-6903) is installed in the water cross over pipe. The pin to this lead is dead.

* Any of the above NSNs can be ordered, you will get which ever is in stock.
* There are NO Safety Issues related to these boxes/NSNs.
* You should no longer get a blinking/flashing wait to start light when using the one piece design. The box should no longer go into default mode.
* You no longer will need to troubleshoot the temp sensor/controller if you have the one piece design installed. However, be sure to keep the temp sensor/controller installed and connected.
* Still need to make sure glow plugs are in good working condition - no need to automatically replace them, just check them.
* Ensure that your connections to the body and engine side a good and tight.
* The voltmeter will still fluctuate during after-glow activity.

Bottom line - the one-piece design is the same as two piece design except for the temperature sensor.

If you suspect a problem with the starting system (control box):

1. Check batteries
2. Check all 8 glow plugs
3. If Wait to Start Light does not come on, but you had voltage gauge activity - attempt to start vehicle. If no start, check fuel system.

4. If Wait To Start Light comes on and you have voltage gauge activity, and still get a no start - your control box should be functioning, problem may be fuel related - check fuel system.

5. If no Wait to Start Light, no glow plug activity and no vehicle start; and all 8 glow plugs are good, wait to start light is good and connections at the body and engine side are good and tight, batteries are good - replace control box.
Superb info, many thanks mr. emmado22!!
will check all this info in the weekend, when there is time to " relax".....I think I' ve got the box in nr. B and the gpc of nr. a..
that makes a LOT sence !!
Humvees RULE, as long as the engine runs....;-)

Last edited: